Lighting Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Alonergan11

AC Members
Aug 7, 2014
I need advice on whether or not to purchase an additional light for my plans. I would like to grow a carpet of some sort (Pearlweed, Dwarf hairgrass, or another suggestion), but I'm worried that I don't have enough light. I currently have a Finnex Planted + and since Prime day is tomorrow on Amazon it will most likely have a discount. My tank is 18" tall (29 Gal), with black sand as a substrate (Nutrient tabs added to sand and I dose with other nutrients).
I'm worried that since the light is 16" from the ground (2 " of substrate at my planned planting area) The carpet will not survive. Should I get another Light fixture to double my PAR?

Thanks

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Carpet plants thrive in high lighting. I probably wouldn't go medium, especially if there are other large plants in the tank.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Any more light and you'd better be injecting CO2 and have good balanced ferts/nutrients.

or, you could look into something like C. parva, it grows really slowly, but doesn't have high lighting needs.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
The Finnex LED fixtures intended for planted tanks look pretty nice. Having a decent amount of lighting intensity reach the bottom of a 29 is always going to be a challenge. Doubling the Finnex fixutres might give you more light up high than you need. You'll have to experiment with staging the plants you intend to keep and adjusting your CO2 and fert adds like Doug suggested.

On my 29g with black sand, I have anubia and a huge bunch of java fern. Lighting is a basic Perfecto 20L/29g T8 hood fitted with a 24", 17watt ZooMed FloraSun tube. It maintains these plants OK.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store