Little black bugs help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

eric miller

Registered Member
Jul 27, 2016
Hello everyone I have been captivating daphina for about 2 months now. I took out what was left in my culture so I can put them in a 5 gallon bucket and restart my 50 gallon bucket. When taking out my last hundred daphina I noticed these little black dots that would swim it crazy speed. I put them all in a white bucket and noticed 1000s of there's little dots. I want to know what you all think they are BC I have been feeding the daphina to baby axoltlos and i just got a new batch of axoltlos eggs and I don't want these blackthings in the water if there bad

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Are they bigger or smaller than the daphnia? Do you still have good numbers of daphnia in the culture?

I'm guessing you have another small organizm in the culture and that if your daphnia are unaffected they are simply a bonus. The only possible downside is that their presence means part of what you are feeding goes to something other than daphnia production.

I think I've seen those things in pond water or any bit of water that's semi permanent. Their numbers suggest that they are not predatory but graze on plant matter or biofilm. I've not identified them or have forgotten what they are if I did.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store