FS Live Grindal Worm Cultures shipping from SC 29073

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
I have a LOT of extra grindal worms, my population has exploded, so I am selling starter cultures for $10 shipped. The culture comes with worms already eating and breeding in soil in a plastic container. All of my fish LOVE to eat these guys, and if you are like me and live in warmer temps, grindal worms are a bit more tolerant of the heat than white worms. They are larger than microworms, but still small enough for most small fish to eat them. I feed them to my danios, peacock gudgeons, endlers, shellies, and lampeyes. They are a great conditioning food for breeding. I have had a lot of luck with these guys and they have been one of my favorite cultures to keep, the only problem being the occassional few mites, but even that is is common to these cultures and easily fixable. They will eat a wide variety of things. I alternate between high protein fish flakes and bread with a little organic yogurt on it. Below is a pic of one of my cultures munchin on some fish flakes. PM if interested. Thanks!

008.JPG

008.JPG

Last edited:

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
so what's the deal on these, do they live in the tank (or am I confusing them with blackworms here?) or do they live in a separate container (if so, what sort and how big?) and get fed periodically into the tank?

and do they smell anything even remotely near as bad as they look? I mean, all due respect to all life forms, part of the ecosystem, circle of life and all that, but...um....ew. :)

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
They don't live in tanks like blackworms. They live in soil in tuperware containers (size depends on how big you want your culture to be. I send them in whatever plastic container I have laying around. Old butter or sour cream tubs etc..) and you harvest them from the soil and feed them to the fish. The easiest way I have found to harvest them is to put some plastic canvas or mesh on top of the soil culture and sprinkle some fish food on top of it. The worms crawl on it to get to the food and can easily be harvested from there. They don't smell bad at all to me, they just kind of smell like moist potting soil, which I don't mind at all. I was never able to keep microworms because of the smell, but these don't bother me. You can culture them without soil on other kinds of moist media like sponges etc.. but thus far I haver chosen soil. There are some really helpful articles on different ways to keep the culture online if you google "grindal worm cultures".

Last edited:

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
Hmm. interesting. thanks A2A, I shall do a little more reading as you suggest. You have me....intrigued. :)

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
No problem lol. PM me if you are interested in some. :) I know the idea of keeping worms isn't neccessarily a pleasant one, but I really enjoy being able to alternate live foods with my fish.

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
grindals are great because they don't require climate control like white worms, and don't have to be kept up with every day. They are also large enough for most community fish to gobble up. I've been feeding my discus with them since it's one of the few things they'll actively hunt.

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
The cultures are $10 with shipping to everywhere.

Jugglo

AC Members
Jul 28, 2009
What kind of soil do you use? How will they be shipped?

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store