Madagascar Rainbowfish being a bully!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sweetswifty

Registered Member
May 24, 2015
I have a 26 gallon tank. I bought 2 of the Madagascar rainbowfish but one of them kept being a bully and making the other one stay in the corner of the tank so I bought another one thinking that would help as the pet store said you should usually get at least 3 (odd number) for when I bought the Surpae tetras. Now that one keeps both of the 2 in the corner. He gets along just fine with all the other fish. Reading on this it sounds like they should be with others like themselves and not alone but he seems to be doing fine so wondering if I should rehome him to be an only one as he is agreesive with his own kind. Very pretty and active just don't like seeing the others cornered.
Thanks for any advise you can give!

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
I think your tank isn't big enough to keep these guys happy. :( They would probably be better in a 55 gal. I agree that more is better as far as school size, but 6-12 would be a better school than 3.
wren

Reactions: Anders247

Sweetswifty

Registered Member
May 24, 2015
That's what I'm afraid of! I'm learning not to go by what the people in the pet store say as some of them have no clue :-(

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
If you can manage to get a larger tank, that would be great, but if not, maybe you can find new homes for these fish, or maybe the pet store will take them back. They really need more space, and you are right about some of the pet store employees knowing very little. I find that to be true more in the big chain stores and not as much in the LFS. If you can rehome them, then you could start over with fish that would be more suitable for your size tank.

Anders247

IG-88 Invaders
Jun 10, 2014
Real Name
Anders
Welcome to the forum!
I agree with Wren Wren . They need at least a 55 and a school of 6+.

Sweetswifty

Registered Member
May 24, 2015
Thanks! How can they sell these fish in even smaller aquariums than I have with tons of fish is what I want to know.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
Thanks! How can they sell these fish in even smaller aquariums than I have with tons of fish is what I want to know.
The store you mean? They can because the tanks in the store are a very short term temporary holding place - until somebody buys them and puts them in a proper sized tank. Many large fish as adults will be fine in smaller tanks as well until they grow out a little bit. You are also likely housing your fish at home in a tank appropiate for the adult sized version - this way you don't have to rehome them each time they outgrow their old tank.

Another good question: Why do fish stores sell fish that are NOT ever appropiate for any size tank at home? (They do to make money)

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
I feel lucky then. I have a great LFS guy, who makes sure to tell me if a fish I am considering will work with my size tank, current stock etc.
I know not all LFS are like that, but they have to be better than the big pet chain stores. Also, it is important for the buyer to ask questions, and make sure that the seller knows you really want to know the truth.
Duckie is right about the tank size in the pet shops. Those are only temporary homes for the fish which are usually not full grown.
I think a pet shop that keeps its customers happy and successful , will make more money in the long run. If people keep experiencing failures with their fish, they generally give up the hobby.

duane stuermer

AC Members
May 21, 2015
Madagascar rainbows don't really do well as pairs, they do much better as a shoal of 4 or 5 (or more) this spreads out any of their normal nippiness and aggression, so no one fish takes the brunt of the dominant one, and gets killed.
As said previously, when small they would do well in a 29gal, but only temporarily, but as 4" adults, it is too small.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store