Majano Anemones

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fastbackgly

Molecular Cell Biology Major
Feb 24, 2006
San Diego, CA
Boy oh boy. I tried vinegar and they practically melted off the rock. I injected them and within a few hours they were completely dead and starting to disintegrate. I think I found the cure. Thanks for the help everyone.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Just be careful with how much vinegar you are introducing to your tank. It is an acid and will lower your pH if you use to much.

fastbackgly

Molecular Cell Biology Major
Feb 24, 2006
San Diego, CA
Yeah I know. It's acetic acid, which isn't very strong, but I've been doing water changes with small amounts of buffer to counteract the lowering of pH and to get rid of nitrates from the dying majanos. They're dropping off pretty quickly.

Rudy

Over my head
Dec 3, 2002
MA
Visit site
They are fine for non-coral tanks.

Some butterfly fish will eat them.
Very True - I had a growing Majano problem in my DT. I bought an Auriga (Threadfin) Butterfly fish and after a month or two they were virtually eradicated. The down side, I don't think anything eats these exclusively. So as collateral damage all our Pulzing Xenia was devoured as well as a softball sized Frogspawn. C'est la Vive, I suppose.

I wish those Berghia nudibranch or even peppermint shrimp ate these like they eat Aptasia. But, my understanding that is not the case.

jccash

Registered Member
Dec 6, 2010
My 65 Gal tank is completely out of control with Majano and Aiptasia Anemome. It's my fault. First off I did not know what a Majano was and frankly I thought it was a coral when it was small due to how nice it looked. But WAM, it has taken over and is on everything not just my rocks. I'm going to start over. I'll take my fish to the LFS to hold or trade in for store credit. My question:

How is the absolute best way to completely clean my tank and sump and make sure majano and aiptasia are completely removed. I'm open to keeping my rock if I know for sure I can kill off these pests. I need to clean everything.

I've had this tank for a long time but now I'm motivated to start over and keep it looking nice.

Thanks for any advice on starting over you can give me.

Rudy

Over my head
Dec 3, 2002
MA
Visit site
If you are breaking down your system, I have heard the best way to completely eradicate all Aptasia and Majano Anemones is to boil all your LR. It is extreme but successful.

jccash

Registered Member
Dec 6, 2010
I'll do that for sure for the rock but... I need to eradicate what is attached to the tank, pumps etc. etc.

jccash

Registered Member
Dec 6, 2010
BWI, so what your saying is I can wash out the tank, sump, pumps with a soaking vinegar solution. Good to know thank you,

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store