Mbuna Vacation Pond (PS. Demasoni)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cowgrl4life

AC Members
Dec 25, 2011
Fort Scott, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Carissa
Pitt,
Any idea if this would work if they were stacked more than two high? I'm wanting to do a pond on my front porch, at least 300gal but my space is limited so it would need to go taller. My husband is worried this wouldn't be sturdy enough and the pressure of the water if I went taller with it without reinforcing the cinder blocks wouldn't work. . . any ideas?

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
I would say 3 high or even 4 high should work, as for myself i never been that high with the blocks but i have seen it go higher with others, just make sure the foundation it sits on will be strong enough to hold it from clasping down, also if you do go that high with the blocks you could run a 2x4 or 4x4 inside the holes of the cinder block, you may have to make some extra cuts in the wood to make it fit right but should be sturdy enough to hold it in place..

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Footballfan.. Yep still here and most def will keep you guys updated, Thx so far i have 4 Trewavasae and a pair of Cortezi swords going in will decide later on what else..

Goodcreature

AC Members
Sep 9, 2011
Man, this looks neat! Where we live, it's high 80's-90's for about 7-8 months, and we definitely have the space for a pond in our yard. I think we might be putting one in this summer! I could breed even more Peacocks!:D

Thanks for sharing, Pitt.

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Thanks yeah def give it a try then i bet you will love it and it is easy to maintain..

Goodcreature

AC Members
Sep 9, 2011
Had a question about your pond. I know you said that the fish eat many of the insects and whatnot that live in/come to the pond, but how much do they rely on that as their food source, and how much do you feed them yourself?

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
I barely feed them once or twice a week and when i do its pellets, their colors are still vivid and their growth rate is fast.. But yeah they rely on insects mostly plus the Mbuna depend on the algae..

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
The pond is up and going so far i have 5 N. Cylindricus, 4 N. Buescheri, 4 Trewavasae, 5 Australian rainbow fish, some wild platy livebeares and here by tomorrow some Yellow labs and maybe another type of Mbuna, The Tanganyika's are almost full grown i am experimenting to see if these will breed in the 500+ gal pond, All of my plants are in place and the pond has been up and running for almost two months now..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store