Micro catfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
I have some extra Akysis catfish on hand. They don't grow more than 2.5". I was thinking of breeding them, but from what I've read it doesn't seem likely. They aren't strictly nocturnal or even particularly shy. At any given time I see at least a few lounging around in the open. Typical catfish when it come to feeding, they eat anything until their bellies are round. Not a threat to neons, but will eat new livebearer fry.
For reference, the ramshorn is about the size of a small pea.

Just unbagged, in a 5 gallon bucket:

FasterShrimpo

AC Members
Jul 13, 2009
I have some extra Akysis catfish on hand. They don't grow more than 2.5". I was thinking of breeding them, but from what I've read it doesn't seem likely. They aren't strictly nocturnal or even particularly shy. At any given time I see at least a few lounging around in the open. Typical catfish when it come to feeding, they eat anything until their bellies are round. Not a threat to neons, but will eat new livebearer fry.
For reference, the ramshorn is about the size of a small pea.

Just unbagged, in a 5 gallon bucket:
If you do get these guys make sure you don't have anything that will fit into it's mouth. It will usually try to eat it.

sweet93

Registered Member
Sep 8, 2011
I'm new to the forum but wanted to through out there that I've been raising brindled madtom catfish for the past year in my 75 gal tank. I currently have around 14 on hand ranging from 1.5 to 5 inches. I'm looking to get rid of a few soon to make room for some tadpole madtoms I'm expecting if anybody is interested.

chickenlady

AC Members
Dec 28, 2009
I was looking at aquabid and they had some tadpole tomcats that apparently stay tinier than normal ones.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store