1. Please double check and update your email address --> http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

Miracle-gro --> algae question

Discussion in 'Planted Aquariums' started by happypoet, Jun 3, 2011.

1. happypoet

happypoet AC Members

Aaron
    Hi all,

I'm setting up a 20long for Sewellia and Stiphodon Percs or Elegans. I would like a lot of algae, and I don't particularly care about the aesthetics of it (at the beginning, anyway. I'll work with it once it's established). I won't have any plants except some mosses for fry-food populations and a couple of big Anubias (since algae grows well on their leaves).

I've read that miracle-gro (the ubiquitous blue powder) is fine for aquariums, but causes algae blooms. Since this is what I want, can I add some to the tank during cycling? And if so, how do I go about dosing?

BTW, I have 40W, plus a decent amount of window light.

(I'll do a build thread this weekend, if anyone is interested)

2. excuzzzeme

excuzzzeme Stroke Survivor '05

100 miles from water and 2 feet from Hell
    I used Miracle-gro indoor plant feed (liquid). I add about 2 drops per gallon3 times a week with mediocre lighting and afternoon sun and got good results including algae. I was able to shape the algae to look like smoke coming from a castle tower. I still use it but at a rate of 1 drop per gallon, 3 times a week and my plants seem to like it. I have better lighting and no direct sunlight and no algae. I think the sunlight was the key ingredient. You could tell when I added the miracle gorw as you would see a burst of new growth when I used it irregularly. It is listed as 8-7-6 so you should be able to sustain algae with it.

3. NoMoreToys

NoMoreToys AC Members

Is this comparable to Excel Flourish???

4. Slappy*McFish

Slappy*McFish Backhanded fish to the face!
    Staff Member

No. Flourish Excel isn't a fertilizer. It is a source of organic carbon/CO2 alternative.

5. Mgamer20o0

Mgamer20o0 BobsTropicalPlants.com
    Staff Member

and a algicide

inka would be the one to ask as well. i believe in the summer time he sets up tubs with rocks out side for growing algae as well. smart idea.

6. happypoet

happypoet AC Members

Aaron
    Thanks, all. I've been asking Inka all sorts of questions on PM anyway, so I may as well continue! :)