Moss farm

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

danelpalfrey

AC Members
Dec 1, 2014
Birmingham UK
coticule.freeforums.net
Real Name
Daniel
ok guys, I had an old fish bowl laying around and decided to put it to good use, what I have done is put some tank water in there(from my running tank) and put some java moss in there. at the moment I have no CO2 running but I am not oxiginating or filtering either so CO2 could be fairley high anyway. I have added ferts also and dose with excel daily.

I then got an old lamp and inverted the shade and removed the base and have put the top of the shade on the bowl leaving the bulb out of the bottom of it in the tank but not the water, this is about 20 watts to the gallon, I know this is a lot but I went for this to help heat the water slightly. so far I have seen some tremendous growth, a golf ball to a cricket ball in a week.

Is there any suggestions here to help improve the growth even more?

Water gets changed once a month with this set up, what I do is leave the water in there in there, then I fill the fish bowl (from half full to full) with tank water then let it settle down and then pour out half of that (this stops any sort of shock to the moss)

Cheers for any advice

Dan

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm not sure if this helps but I have seen my moss in the flow of a powerhead grows very much faster & denser (& prettier!) than in the gentle return flow of an HOB filter. Mosses are fairly slow growers no matter what.

danelpalfrey

AC Members
Dec 1, 2014
Birmingham UK
coticule.freeforums.net
Real Name
Daniel
power head is a good tip, but not practicle for a bowl set up, I am actually finding that the moss is growing way fast and am very impressed with it. trying to plant a third tank of mine with out going to the aquarium for more plants so I am farming them in the bowl, had some great results with pennywort too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store