mudskipper newbie

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

albartsch

AC Members
Apr 8, 2003
Lexington, Massachusetts
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I need some real "nuts and bolts" information now. My tank is four feet long by 13 inches, and about 18 inches tall. I will keep 3 mudskippers in there, which are now 1.5 inches long, and may add newts or other fish.
I think I'll need a light, filter and pump, heater, and recipe for brackish water. Can anyone advise what to buy and where? Thanks.

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
A) Newts are out of the question since salty water dries out their skin. They will get dehydrated and slowly die. Some fish to look for would be like Mollies, Anablep Anablep (4 eyed fish), Guppies, Bumblebee Gobies. Brackish water depends on where you live as to how much salt to put in the water. It is best to buy a Hydrometer (one by Aquarium Systems is best) and get the range between 1.008 and 1.014 depending on the fish you get. FYI, I use 1.5 cups of salt per 10 gallons of water for my brackish systems and gives a salinity close to 1.010. BTW, in case you didn't know your tank is a 55 gallon. Hope this helps and good luck with the Skippies.

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
No, table salt is the worst salt to use. The best to use is one of the marine salts (I use Instant Ocean, on both brackish and marine tanks and have not had any problems in the 3 years I have been doing them). I know there are some reports out there about how not good Instant Ocean is, but has worked great for me with no ill effects so I would say go ahead and use it. I have never lived in Boston (lived in New Jersey/New York for 9 yrs) so the best thing to do would be to get a hydrometer and test the level of salt in a bucket and figure out how much you need to get a certain salinity.

sihen

Registered Member
Nov 5, 2004
help please

MonoSebaelover

Could you help me please,

I need some help, last week i bought 2 x Mudskippers, the problem im having is the 2 mudskippers hate each other, the one seems to always go for the other and the other is hiding away and doesnt look happy. its eyes have gone look blood shot,

Iv got a tank that is half full with water, half the tank has place for them to go out of the water but once again the problem comes into play that as soon as both are out the water the one goes for the other.

Dylan

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store