My 125 gallon build a.k.a. in the deep end...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bettalover77

AC Members
May 27, 2010
Real Name
Alex
stocking?f

jawasnack

Live plants and fish make you smile
Dec 8, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Gary
Looking good so far, I'm jealous too, I want a big tank soo bad (no room)

1cooljeep

AC Members
Jan 31, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Dave
Construction continues

I've been working on wrapping the base in oak. I'm almost finished, working on the doors today. Having a week of vacation (and not going anywhere) helped.

Here are some progress shots of the work so far

Attaching the oak face frame and side panels to cabinet
IMG_0435.jpg

Adding decorative trim pieces to top edge
IMG_0438.jpg

Testing the fit of the tank, needs the doors
IMG_0439.jpg

Detail shot of upper trim pieces
IMG_0440.jpg

Hopefully finishing doors today and have some more shots for you all. The next step is the hood and I'd like to get some input before I get started. My initial thoughts are five T5 HO fluorescents. I'd like to do a pressurized CO2 planted tank. I would wire them on 2 ballasts, and therefore could run 160 W, 240 W or 400 W (1.28, 1.92, 3.2 W/gal). Any thoughts on this setup before I order a few retrofit kits?

Regards

Thanks again for the encouraging words.

IMG_0435.jpg IMG_0438.jpg IMG_0439.jpg IMG_0440.jpg

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
That stand looks fantastic! Great job! Can't wait to see it in the final stages.

1cooljeep

AC Members
Jan 31, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Dave
Finally got the doors built and mounted. Picked out the hardware and some fluorescent light fixtures for inside the cabinet. It needs a final sanding then finish, but I think I'll wait until the hood is done then finish the whole thing at once, probably a more consistent color that way.

IMG_0446.jpgIMG_0449.jpg

I guess its off to the drawing board to plan the light hood. Of interest, has anyone ever seen a hood where the front and the top lift up and bring the lights with them. Might be nice to get the lights out of the way when planting, etc.

IMG_0446.jpg IMG_0449.jpg

roscoe70

AC Members
Apr 5, 2009
East Texas
That is some nice work you've done. Agree on finishing the hood at the same time. Seen some site with plans that I think were like what you are wanting, if I have any luck locating it I'll let you know. Good luck.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Great progress.

1cooljeep

AC Members
Jan 31, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Dave
Thanks. I've done a bunch of internet searchs. Lots of flip up fronts, doors, trap door-type tops, or even some angled-cut into the side combo's, but nothing that seemed to have the "light tray" attached. Maybe those with more experience can weigh in about lifting the lights each time. My idea would be to have top attached to front, with the top hinged far enough back that light assembly would swing up and out of way when its lifted. Would make getting my arm in there much easier. Could even use small doors on front for smaller jobs like feeding, water checks, etc.

roscoe70

AC Members
Apr 5, 2009
East Texas
Try www.garf.org they have some DIY pages a couple showing easily made tops. Had a front opener in the past and you are right it would have been nice to have more clearance with the lights attached to the top, as these plans allow for, worth a look IMO.

1cooljeep

AC Members
Jan 31, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Dave
Started working on the hood

Well, after some thinking and a lot of internet searching, I've chosen a design for the hood and started construction. I am going with a fixed front faceframe and three doors to match the style of the base. This should make for easy access for the day to day chores.

I am also planning a lift up top. Ideally, I would like the lights to swing upward when the top is lifted, allowing more room and better access to the tank for planting, pruning, etc. through the doors. Also, this will make maintenance easier (I think) by having direct access to the lights for cleaning and replacing. Not sure of the specifics yet, but I'll see as I go.

Again, please chime in with any thoughts or ideas you may have. Any advice or criticisms can only help in the process.

Test fitting side panel of hood to faceframe
IMG_0453.jpg

Face frame of hood
IMG_0452.jpg

Thanks for the interest.

IMG_0453.jpg IMG_0452.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store