My 185gal build in progress (lots of pics)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MikenDanielle

AC Members
May 18, 2007
NB Canada
Cichlids are exactly what I was thinking. I started out thinking of Oscars... I've had them before, but they're tough to find tank mates for, and finding a pretty oscar isn't always easy. After oscars, my next choice would be a big pleco, and a big snail, with a bunch of brightly colored 4-6" cichlids. I want fish with some personality, who will greet me when I come into the room, and do intersting things like dig, and interact with each other.
If its personality and interesting things you are looking for then Cichlids are def your answer!

They each have a personality of there own, some are more aggressive than others and chase their tank mates around. They constantly dig and rearrnage the substrate, its quite fun to watch them move the substrate little rock by little rock from one place to another just so things are they way they want them.

Here's a link (If you havent already foind it or others) with a bunch of different types of African Cichlids. There's something there for everyone, lots of colors. Can't wait to hear your choices!

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=1825

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Looking good.

cvermeulen

Sucking up knowledge
May 18, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Real Name
Cam
gonna put another coat of epoxy on in the morning, and maybe 1 or 2 more tomorrow evening.

A bit concerned right now cuz the front frame where the glass gets glued in isn't flat... have to decide how to deal with that yet.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Nice update. Did it warp from the epoxy being applied?

cvermeulen

Sucking up knowledge
May 18, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Real Name
Cam
No, the plywood was quite warped when I got it. I thought it would all straighten out because it was cut square... and for the most part it did, but there is about 1/2" of twist left from side to side. (the right, top corner is 1/2" further forward than the lower left). This, I think will be Ok - I can probably fill a 1/4" gap at either side with silicone, or maybe build up the frame on teh inside to accomodate for the warp. The thing that really worries me is when I fill it up - will it bend straight because of the weight, and put extra strain on the glass? yikes, I hope not.

MikenDanielle

AC Members
May 18, 2007
NB Canada
Another idea would be to build another frame for the glass out of not warped wood and then silicone that to the inside current frame for the glass, it will have your glass indented an inch or two, but hey, better safe than sorry. Whatever route you choose I hope it works out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store