My 20H Freshwater Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jmhart

Revolutionary
Sep 8, 2007
Atlanta,GA
It kind of sounds like you just want somebody to say what you want to hear.

Sure, he'll be fine at 1.005. Done.

Now for the truth, no, he will not be fine at that level. He will need a higher level, which will most likely harm every plant you have. There are BW plants, but I don't know what they are. I stay away from BW.

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
so do f8 puffers require less salty water, that's what I've heard.

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
Figure 8s do great (it's their preferred salinity) at 1.005. RTR did lifetime studies of them, and that's the SG where they often lived 10-15 years.

They're nice little puffers, and would do fine in your 20 high. You might even be able to put in some bumblebee gobies...but then again some figure 8s learn they're tasty (others leave them alone). I also had luck with a knight goby in with my figure 8, and had a molly in there to for over a year...but full grown mollies can be bullies, which led the figure 8 to start slowly shredding the molly so the molly went back to the LFS.

Eric

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
thanks and do you think that the plants I mentioned, vals, hornwort, and java moss could do ok at the low end of 1.005?

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
Vals supposedly do OK there, but mine melted. I only had luck with java moss and some luck with java fern.

I never tried hornwort...it would be worth trying.

Eric

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store