My blizzard corn snake laid a clutch!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
My blizzard corn, whom I have always assumed was male, had been acting very strange. She was overly active, not eating and in a pretty nasty mood. Friday morning I woke up and all became clear. I woke up to this.
Snake Egg.jpg

I was away from home after taking this picture and the next day my niece sent me this.
Snake with eggs.jpg

I returned home on Sunday to remove the unfertlized eggs. I have had her 3.5 years and she has never been with another snake. Upon removing the clutch this is what I had.
Snake egg clutch.jpg

A few of these were still rubbery and white but there is no way that they are fertilized.....right!!! So I candled them, and saw this.
Snake egg possible embryo.jpg

Does that look embryonic to anyone? I have heard of asexual reproduction but not really expecting anything. I have placed this egg along with a few others into a tupperware container with a wet paper towel that I have a lid just sat on the top. Guess we shall see but like I said not really expecting anything, kind of cool though.

Snake Egg.jpg Snake with eggs.jpg Snake egg clutch.jpg Snake egg possible embryo.jpg

Last edited:

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Wow, that's pretty cool! It's not all that uncommon for female reptiles to still lay eggs without the presence of a male in captivity. I have a few geckos and turtles that do that. But that egg does look interesting, definitely worth seeing what becomes of it!

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Tres kewl! Glad she didn't get egg-bound. I've seen fems die from that.

Never heard of parthenogenesis in snakes but it wouldn't it be awesome...

Mark

WRAragon

Rene
Jan 29, 2009
Mississippi
www.myspace.com
That's super cool. They're slugs if there is no male present. Slugs are orange. They contain a yolk the same as any other egg. That's what your seeing when you candle it. Awesome sharing!

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store