1. Please double check and update your email address --> http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

My Gourami is sick Help

Discussion in 'Anabantoids' started by Bonniegiff, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Bonniegiff

Bonniegiff AC Members

I have a female Dwarf Gourami. She looks gravid or swollen and will not eat. She just hangs around the top of the tank. hat could be wrong I put a few drops of Methylene blue in because that seems to be a cure all. That has not worked I put food in front of her face and she won't eat. Do you think I should clean the tank again and add Parasite guard. I just cleand the tank yesterday but I don't think I should mix the medications. Thanks for your help.

2. sailedNJ

sailedNJ marine biologist & architect

Art Vandelay
    Hi Bonniegiff, sorry to hear about your gourami. However your description is kind of vague & as such it makes it hard for others to chime in with advice. There are a lot of conditions that could make a fish appear gravid or swollen & contribute to a loss of appetite.

Have you tested the water? If you have please post the results (pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrates...). If you haven't tested the water I suggest you get yourself a test kit, test it, & then post the results.

Also please provide some vital "stats" about the tank your gourami is in such as the following: Age (how long it's been set up & cycled i.e. "established"), Size, Water Temperature, Filtration, & what types of tank mates your gourami is sharing the tank with (if any) & how many of them.

By providing these stats it makes it easier for others to try & deduce what might be causing your gourami problems. If you can provide a pic than do so as well, it couldn't hurt any. But at the very least start by providing the stats. Good Luck

3. Bonniegiff

Bonniegiff AC Members

My tank is a 10 gasllon and has been set up for two years. The Dwarf Gourami is about 6 months old. The water temperature is 82.5 degrees. I am using a sponge filter and trying to bread the gouramis. I have 3 fish in the tank two females and one male. Nitrate NO3 is 20, Nitrate NO2 is 0, Hardness 120, buffering 120, PH 7.2,. Thank you.

4. sailedNJ

sailedNJ marine biologist & architect

Art Vandelay
    IMO a Nitrate reading of 20 is pretty high for a smaller tank like your 10g. A lot can go wrong quickly in a smaller tank if Nitrate levels are allowed to get too high. I like to keep my nitrates @ around 1 - 5 in my smaller tanks (20gs & below). How often are water changes being performed? Questionable water quality can lead to problems that will make your fish act lethargic/listless like you are describing.

The swollen look you are describing could just be coincidence. If your trying to breed your gourami it could very well be gravid & the swelling you see wouldn't be a direct symptom of any particular disease (e.g. Dropsy).

I would suggest that you hold off an adding anymore meds to the tank. While your intentions may be good, adding meds like Methylene blue & "Parasite guard" without really knowing what your fish is inflicted with can do more harm than good. What I would do is perform water changes until you get that nitrate reading down to about 5 & see how your fish react to that. If your gouraimi is still lethargic/listless after that then you can at least eliminate water quality as an issue & then maybe consider other possible culprits such as Dropsy etc.

5. Bonniegiff

Bonniegiff AC Members

I do one water change a week in all of my tanks.

6. Rbishop

Rbishop ...and over the edge.
    Staff Member

Mr. Normal
    From looking at the test results you gave, they tend to make me think you are using all-in-one dip strips...? I prefer the liquid kits. I'd keep up the water changes of at least 50%, 2 or 3 times a week until you see behavior back to normal or can identify the issue and select a course of action. 10 gallon is a bit small IMO to accomplish what you want to do safely.