Nano Plant Only Tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I moved abroad to get myself a Master's degree, which meant giving up my fish tank. It was a shame too as the plants were thriving, my L10A catfish that were purchased as 1.5" babies were growing and thriving and it looked as though I had a pair . . . *sigh*

Anyway, I'm living in student halls and can't have a tank, but am really missing it. The fish tanks in the lab really aren't cutting it for me anymore. So, I was thinking of making myself a little nano plant tank to keep on my desk. I'm gonna go out a little later today, once the hangover wears off (student life), and pick up a glass jar probably about a litre or so in size. My desk lamp is a 40W clear bulb so I was planning on using this for a light source. But I'm having a hard time deciding what I want to do exactly. Here's my current options:

1) Do a ground cover plant, but this would require some type of substrate, and small stick with moss
2) No ground cover, just java moss and maybe a small stick with Anubius nana, which I know will eventually grow too big, but hopefully by then I will have moved and can get a tank

So, thoughts? Would a 40 W bulb be able to grow something like hair grass? Or a different ground cover, there also won't be heat on it, the only heat would come from the bulb. . . I obviously won't have any fish in here, I may snag a pest snail from the lab tanks though, just because.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
You could have a moss-ball or 2 with a shrimp. Why not Anubius Petite

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I've never thought about petite, could look around for it though. I did think about a moss ball as well, but was leaning more towards the java moss since I can snag some from the lab tanks. They keep throwing it out for some weird reason.Since a litre is less than 0.25 gallons, I just wouldn't feel right with a shrimp in there as there won't be a big footprint. . .

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
An Amano shimp will fit in a qT of water just fine. Too bad you live so far away, I could have sent you a small "sprig" of Petite for free.

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Ah shame on this distance! That would have been awesome. I'm not even sure where the fish shops are around here, but may have to venture out to see what is available. I'm still trying to decide if I want to do some type of substrate, but would hate to buy a whole bag in order to use a handful. . .

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
They do not sell substrates by the "handfull" over there? See if there are any fish clubs near you==Beg or borrow a handfull from a member.

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I'm not sure, I haven't looked for any of the stores yet. I have no idea what's available in the area, looks like I have a mission for this week.

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
I did something like this with a little plastic 1g tank I had. Used some plants i found out by the river. Just sunlit from a window. It was pretty cool for a few months. Then I got another plant that after a day ruined the whole shebang.

I think the grass might need more light, but don't call me an expert on that. As for substrate, if you go sand, you should be able to get some from a home improvement store. I got about 3/4 of a huge bag for $2 from Home Depot because it had ripped and spilled. Was on a discount pallet.

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I've thought about checking a hardware store as well, but since I don't drive over here I couldn't carry a big bag of sand anyway. At least not yet, gotta spend a few more days in the gym lol.

I might ask my supervisor if I can have some from the tanks, unless I find that one of the shops does by the pound sand. I haven't had a chance to look for shops yet, been too busy during prime hours with my research.

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I just found out my deadline is in 4 weeks instead of 6 weeks, so the panic monster has screwed up my plan of shop hunting. But I did this lol!

20150709_170645.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store