Need help stocking new tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Its 20 gallons. See the thing is my local pet store doesn't have any monos, scats, puffers. They have only fresh water fish. Thats why i was surprised when i heard that they got dragon gobies.
Monos and scats won't fit your 20g anyway long-term. Several species of bumblebee gobies can do well in brackish water conditions.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
You really should find yourself a list of BW fish. Platies are not BW either. How big is your tank?
Platies can handle low-end brackish like most livebearers.

I'd really suggest giving the dragon goby to somebody who can take proper care of it and start over your tank.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
That may be, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it. Natural habitat for platies is Central American rivers, which contain hard alkaline water, but not brackish. They will probably deal with it, but just to be clear its not the same thing.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Surely.

But I'd still recommend giving away the goby and just stick with freshwater. There aren't many fish that can go in a 20g and requires brackish water.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Agreed...seems like most of the fish the OP is interested in are FW, and I just don't think the goby fits.

blazian88

AC Members
Jan 6, 2008
Aww... that sucks cause the goby is so adorable when he eats.... Yea I'm thinking about just making the tank fresh water and to try and raise the dragon goby in fresh with other fish. And anyways he seems pretty happy in fresh water with aquarium salt added. I guess when i one day upgrade my tank size, I'll try raising a bunch of dragon gobies. Do you guys know if fish in general like air pumps pumping air into the water in a 20 gallon tank or if i should just not use the air pump?

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
So after a number of people have told you that the goby will be both unhealthy in just freshwater, and will get too big for a 20gal tank, you're going to go ahead and keep it there anyway because you think its "cute". Good luck.

blazian88

AC Members
Jan 6, 2008
Well what else can i do when I already bought the dragon goby? And the 20g tank? What If I just kept it in the 20 gallon for maybe 3 or 4 months or till summer, and then i buy a 30 gallon tank and move it there. That wouldnt be to bad for the goby right? But then i have to hold off on getting any of the other fish i wanted because none of them are brackish fish. But I guess thats ok. Although I wish dragons were fresh water fish......

Oh yea and for the record, the little information tab in front of the dragon goby tank at petsmart read " Maximum size - 12 inches , Tank size - 20g, Requires - Aquarium salt, Diet - Frozen foods and Feeders "

All the information is wrong lol.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Yeah chain stores are notorious for providing incomplete or incorrent information on their stock. Good reason to research fish before you buy them, so you know what you're getting into. If I were in your position, I would look for another local store that sells brackish fish and see if they would take it.

blazian88

AC Members
Jan 6, 2008
Yea I learned my lesson lol. From now on thorough research on every fish before i get them..... Man that is really decieving, i got the supposed right tank size, and the aquarium salt and everything..... Ah well it cant be helped. So I guess my tank will be mollies and guppies and dragon goby until i get a new tank -_-.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store