1. Please double check and update your email address --> http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help!!! Want to start Plant Tank w/sturgeon...

Discussion in 'Freshwater Newbie Forum' started by The.Kid9, Apr 6, 2012.

1. The.Kid9

The.Kid9 AC Members

Hi, I am kinda new here and have a few questions to ask.
    1) if i was to start a planted tank and start with LOW light plants would i need to have a light for the tank, or can i use the light in the room for it?
    2) can a low light planted 55gal long tank have a sterlet sturgeon about 5-6inch in it?
    3) would fish would be most recommended for a planted tank?

these are my questions atm...more are most likely to pop up afterwards...TIA...

2. Cathan

Cathan AC Members

PLO think a 6700k light fixture would be better than the normal light in a room. It cannot have a sterlet sturgeon in my opinion. Neon tetras and shrimps/snail would be ideal :D or any tetras/schooling.

3. The.Kid9

The.Kid9 AC Members

Thanks...and can you tell me why it cant have a sturgeon in your opinion???

4. Cathan

Cathan AC Members

They grow up to 5 feet in what I read. I think it'll need more room. I'd give it a min of 100 gallons so it'll be happy.

5. The.Kid9

The.Kid9 AC Members

Thanks...apparently im trying to grow it out in the 55gal and is on the road of trying to get a bigger tank...as for now if i was to start the planted tank my only concern is will it try to eat my plants...

srry if it seems like im a hard-headed person but MAYBE since the sturgeon is still little, i just think that it can be placed in a 55long tank until it grows a little bit bigger....

6. AquaticAustin

AquaticAustin AC Members

You can stunt its growth by putting it in a tank far far to small for such a huge fish. It will be smaller and live a much shorter time in addition to being more prone to disease. Also it is NEVER a good ide a to buy a fish that you know is to big and have to upgrade to accomodate it. Because its probably not going to happen or it wont happen in time or a big enough upgrade. You also cant count on being able to rehome it even for free.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

7. Cathan

Cathan AC Members

Well, sooner or later it's either a tank upgrade ( fun ) or let go if it ( not fun ).

Im sure for now it'll be fine. And I don't think you should turn it into a planted with that in their. Has a chance if eating it.

8. The.Kid9

The.Kid9 AC Members

Ok thanks...