Neon Tetra, bulging belly?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aquasteel

AC Members
Feb 7, 2012
Cork, Ireland
Real Name
Caitlin
We got the tetras on Monday. Since, they seem to be chasing each other quite viciously and sort of dancing in pairs, swimming around the other fish in tight circles.

Today we noticed one of the tetras had a bulging belly. So were they mating and the fish is pregnant? Or the tetra has eaten too much? Or something completely different?
Please reply! I'm pretty worried because I don't know what's up?

The tetra is the one in upper centre, sorry it's bad quality I used my O/H's phone.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
I'm not sure about spawning behavoir. I would keep an eye on him and see if it goes down. It does look a lot like my cardinals after they have pigged out on bloodworms, but that does go down within an hour or so. Perhaps he is constipated? I've seen it happen with my bettas but not really with my tetras. What are you feeding them? I would hold off on feeding until it resolves.

constevens

AC Members
Sep 7, 2011
Colorado
Real Name
Conway
Ever see fish have bubbles come from their butt? :lol2: neither have I. LOL so we can rule out gas......

But really... My tetras will look like that after a feeding sometime. Little piggies. Keep an eye on him and see. If it goes away within 5 or 6 hours thats all it is. If not look for things like whats called bloat. if he starts having issues swimming. Sometimes fish can have a swim bladder issue or even a tumor.. Just observe for the next day.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Tetras are egg layers. Your female is healthy and full of eggs. The dancing and chasing is mating behavior.
At least that part that doesn't involve eating the eggs before they hit bottom.

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
Awesome that yours have actually managed to produce some babies, my neons regularly fatten up like that, and then chase each other around some. Any eggs that fall though stand less than 0 change of surviving in my tank.

Good luck with them.

MrDibbs

AC Members
Oct 19, 2017
We got the tetras on Monday. Since, they seem to be chasing each other quite viciously and sort of dancing in pairs, swimming around the other fish in tight circles.

Today we noticed one of the tetras had a bulging belly. So were they mating and the fish is pregnant? Or the tetra has eaten too much? Or something completely different?
Please reply! I'm pretty worried because I don't know what's up?

The tetra is the one in upper centre, sorry it's bad quality I used my O/H's phone.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I know this is an old post but I came across this. I bought 6 neons about 5 days ago. One of them was pulled out for reasons I won't get into, but I had more evidence that she was sick than not so she is no longer part of the group.

Another one lovingly named "Fat Boy" had a really bloated belly. It was swimming fine, clearly the alpha in the group, eating well, active, normal behaviour I would say. I was nervous about the belly though.

They get one mashed pea (no skin) in the tank last night after the food and they are not getting any food at all today, and another pea sometime tomorrow. After 12 hours the belly has gone down to what I would say is normal, although this is still a rather large neon.

Anyways, for anyone reading this before you hastily start to think the worst has happened, try something simple, like treating for constipation. Give it a pea or two, withhold food and keep an eye on it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store