New 20 gallon freshwater aquarium - any fish suggestions?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Ok I was thinking Pangio kuhliis. The tetras I am hoping to get are silver tips. I have changed my mind on the guppies because I now have mollies and those can't be put together.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
When you're thinking of your new stocking plan keep in mind that the molly takes up much more space than the original guppies you had intended. If it were my tank this is what I would do (I'm basing this around your desire for kuhlis and your current stock):

current:
1 female betta
1 female molly

future:
4-5 kuhli loaches
1-2 ADF (African dwarf frog)
(these two take up your bottom pretty much, so I wouldn't really go for ottos)

Now keeping in mind that mollies seem to do better in higher temps, around 78-80 and that's about where the ADFs like it as well, and the kuhlis will fit well there, you should be ok. But you'll want to keep future options in mind as far as temperature goes and size. I would recommend in that size tank either: more mollies (but you'll end up having to figure out what to do with babies), more female bettas (often called a sorority), or a small school (6ish) of a smallish tetra/barb that likes the warmer spectrum. I wouldn't add any more bottom dwellers as you'll quickly run out of territory and feeding space an though it may not look like it the bioload will be full. Again if it were my tank I would do a school of
6 (maybe 8 but that might be pushing it) cardinal tetras (they like this warmer temp)
or
4-6 penguin tetras (warmer temps are enjoyed by them too)
or
6 cherry barbs (I REALLY like them cuz the males are red and females a very pretty bronze/gold)

All of these should be left alone by the molly as they are big enough to not be food.
If you decide to go with more mollies add either 3-4 females, or 1 male and 2-3 females. If you add more female bettas add 3-5 and add them all at once to suppress any territorial fighting.

Again this is just if it was my tank what I would do, there are plenty of other options out there :)

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
How do silver tip tetras sound with this plan?:
1 female betta
2 ADFs
4 - 5 Kuhli loaches
2 mollies

I was thinking the silver tip tetras would be the small school of fish.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I have never kept that species and don't know much about them, but did a quick Google search. Most sources say they prefer lower light levels, which won't be ideal if you want to do live plants, unless you only do floating plants. Additionally they are listed as very active, which having a school of really active fish could stress the betta. I personally wouldn't do them based on that. But someone who's had them personally may think different.
Also, if you only have two mollies watch carefully for them picking at each other. While not true shoaling fish, they do tend to aggregate. With just two they may tend to go through constant hierarchy arguments.

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Right, okay. The adult molly used to pick at my betta a little, but that was when they first met. Now they get along quite well, and when Inky ( the adult molly ) did pick at my betta, she did not actually hurt her. Now they are friends but usually ignore each other anyway. So I don't think Inky would actually hurt Lucky ( the molly fry ). But that Lucky might pick at her once she is an adult.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
From my experience, Silver Tips are like Serpae tetras, a little nippy.

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Will they go okay with these species?

ADFs
mollies
bettas
kuhli ( pangio ) Loaches?

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
okay then.

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Silvertips ARE hyperactive and rambunctious. I never had them with a betta in the tank, but my experience with other nippy fish is that it does NOT end well if they are housed with a betta. Since you also want ADFs, I'd rethink the silvertips, as they'd most liked out compete the frogs for food.

I'd go with the suggestion of cherry barbs, based on experience with them. Mine never bothered anyone, and they are rather pretty.

Reactions: irishspy
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store