New 20 gallon freshwater aquarium - any fish suggestions?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Snails are one thing that you will get many, many, many opinions on! LOL! I'm not saying anyone is wrong, but I've seen a LOT of discussions about snails. I currently have ramshorns and pond snails in my planted 29, and will add pond snails to my 180. (I have a Senegal bichir, so I'm not worried about snails getting out of hand.) Pond snails and ramshorns can become a nuisance, and many people don't like them. I personally like them.

Nerites are popular, and don't reproduce in freshwater. However, they still lay eggs like crazy. These eggs don't hatch, but they are impossible to get rid of. This is the one thing I don't like about nerites.

My experience with mystery snails is rather limited, so I'll let someone else chime in there - and on the other types.

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Ok. I will think about what you said, ask other's opinions , ect. Thanks!:)

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
My tank is nearly fully stocked now. I want one more fish in it, though. What I'm looking for is something that will get along with the following:
2 mollies
2 otos
1 betta ( female )
6 Lemon tetras

Any suggestions? I had the idea of a guppy or two, but I'm not quite sure. I think the guppy might look too much like a betta. And that would NOT end well, Because my betta is very instinctual. I put her with another betta once, and she hate, hate, hated him!! ( Luckily his fins will grow back ) Any way, all feedback will be helpful!:)

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Definitely no to the guppies. Either you will have a problem with the betta or the mollies picking on them. If it were me I'd add one more molly to make a trio. A pair will just pick at each other non stop and never form a hierarchy, but with a trio one will get a break. Otherwise I would say you're fully stocked and I wouldn't add anything else

Reactions: irishspy

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
All right, I'll do that. I do like mollies. The breeding of my current mollies isn't really working. My female is just to dang aggressive. I will get one female molly. Thanks!

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I doubt she's aggressive, she's just acting like a fish that is part of a species that likes aggregations. They need conspecifics. Their behaviours are often taken as aggressive by observers and other species, but conspecifics will react the way that they should which will also calm down female.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
^agreed. This is the "fish do fish things" sort of issue, where normal behavior appears to be aggressive in nature.

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
I was at work yesterday, and saw something similar with a platy and a small angelfish. The platy had been "nipping" at the angel, which at first looked almost like the platy was trying to "clean" the angel's gills, but the platy was just a little too persistent. The angel finally had enough, and went after the platy.

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Back to snails, I was wondering, can you put apple snails in small tanks?

Thanks!

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I had apples take over a 20g high once....it was the only outbreak I've ever hated.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store