New aquariast needs help with black moor goldfish.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Gaping at the surface followed by lethargy, lack of appetite and eventual loss of life are all symptoms of fluke infestation. I would definitely hit both tanks with prazi after you are sure that everything else has been filtered out. You might want to wait on the hospital tank until you are sure that the danger of costia is past. I would still increase aeration to the tank if possible. Certain mixes of medication can cut the available oxygen available in the tank. I don't think prazi is one, but it never hurts to give a little more air when possible. Stringy poop can be a sign of parasites, so give it a whirl and see if she does any better. Another option is to give her a smashed up green pea. That cleans them out, and they really, really like them. It's like a feeding frenzy in my tanks when I put peas ( or really any other veggie or fruit) in the tank! If they won't eat, you might try putting a little garlic powder on them. For whatever reason, it tends to make food more appealing to goldies, and some people believe it has the same antibiotic affect that it has on people.

I really wish someone else would jump in here and correct me if I am giving wrong information, but I think I am on point for the most part.

JamieMonster

AC Members
Mar 16, 2012
Chicagoland, USA
Real Name
Jamie
Hey, Anne! I hope you're doing well. Little Lola didn't end up making it. I tried the hospital tank and everything I could think of, but, I think the ick medicine combined with my inexperience, and unclear directions on the packaging RE: duration of dosing were too much, and she suffered too much gill damage to get past it. She was a good fish.. :(

I did want to stop by and say thank you for letting me know about the prazi-pro, though. I did end up doing a 70% water change on the big tank, added the prazi, and took out the carbon for 3 days. Within 24 hours, there was no more flashing! Thank you so much for that! Everyone in the tank is doing fantastic, now! Not sure what it was that made them flash, but, the prazi knocked it straight outta there! Thanks so much!

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Sorry about Lola, but I am glad that the others are doing okay. Prazi is a great product when used appropriately. Glad it took care of the problem. Moors can be tricky sometimes, and it seems like shipments of them are either very hardy or very poor in quality-- at least that has been my experience. Perhaps in the future you can get some new ones and try them again-- but it sounds from your other post like you will have your hands full with "the Tater!" :)

JamieMonster

AC Members
Mar 16, 2012
Chicagoland, USA
Real Name
Jamie
LOL- Yeah, I definitely made sure to follow the instructions to the letter with the Prazi. I like how that one gave thorough dosing instructions, instead of "Continue dosing after 24 hrs. if the problem persists" that the malachite green ick medicine had... that confused me, as I didn't know you could overdose it, and it doesn't say how many max. doses, or that it can damage their gills if you dose it too many times. That would be good information to have on the bottle! Lesson learned with that one, I guess.

I did give it a try with another moor! They are just too cute not to. This time, I sprung the extra $4 for a fish twice the size as the original 2 (to make sure she was a good eater, and well able to fend for herself), and looked for a very lively one, with a nice, chubby, round belly, and very clear eyes. I didn't realize it at the time, but both of the moors I had bought from "the mart" had eyes that looked foggy. I thought, since they were black fish, maybe they were just supposed to have darker eyes, but after seeing healthy fish- there was definitely something going on, there. "Nell" is a WORLD of difference from the fish from "the mart"- VERY active, strong appetite, nicely competitive for her food when she needs to be, seems to even be able to see her food, and etc ok. NO problems there, at all. So, now, "the Tater" is my only little special needs guy in the tank. He seems to be doing just fine, Though! He scoots around all over the place, just as happy-go-lucky as can be. He's super active, and inquisitive. When he really gets going, he kind of tips over sideways, but straightens right back up when he slows down, and can be a little wonky with the turns when he is going fast, sometimes... but, it really doesn't seem to be holding him back terribly. He gets his food just fine, and can dart around pretty quickly to make sure he gets himself enough, and so far no one is picking on him at all... I think he's going to be ok! I am hoping that since he is still a baby, he will just continue to adapt to it & have a great life, kind of like a 3 legged dog. Sure, he might swim a little goofy sometimes, but, that's ok with me! He's pretty adorable- and as long as he's happy, that's all that matters! :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store