New betta!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aquariua

AC Members
Jan 26, 2016
I just got a betta. I want to do what's best for him....please help and give me advice! My mom won't let me get a bigger tank or anything that will plug in so no filter heater or lights

right now i have a 1.4 gallon tank. its a cylinder (13.5 inchs high and 5.5 inches in diameter) i bought api tap water conditioner and topfin color enhancing betta bits (they're pellets) i also bought a fish net.

i think i'm going to buy freeze dried brine shrimp, freeze dried tubiflex worms, and seachem prime water conditioner.

Right now i'm changing out 25% of water weekly, and 100% every 2 months i Skip feeding one day each week and i feed the fish as much as it will eat in 2 minutes once a day.

Is their anything else I could do to make him as comfortable as possible?
thanks for any help

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Plants? Decor? Bettas are active and inquisitive fish, and they appreciate things they can explore.

I swear by Prime, and have used it for years.

Bettas like warm water, so make sure you don't keep him somewhere where there is a draft or under an air conditioning vent. A heated and filtered tank would be ideal. Your cleaning schedule is a good plan, and it's important to change out water regularly even in filtered tanks. I also use a fish dedicated turkey baster to spot clean debris between water changes.

Sounds like you are heading in the right direction, and asking the right questions. Others will add their advice/experience soon.

Aquariua

AC Members
Jan 26, 2016
I'll add gravel and a silk plant to my to buy list. Is there anything I can do to keep the water warm since I can't get a heater or a filter?

Windy

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Theed Palace on Naboo
Real Name
Lazaro
Depends on the temperature of your bedroom if that is where you keep him or her. If you can't keep it warm enough, then buy a heater. Save up for one and for a filter. On a tank that small, you can get a small filter like a sponge filter or if you want a small hang on back filter. for now, keep you with the water changes. Make sure the water you add has a water conditoner in it like prime. The temp for a betta should be no less then 75 and no more then 80 degrees. The lower the temp, the more sluggish the fish becomes. The warmer the temp is the faster he or she will age. I know it sounds weird having warmer water making your fish age faster. When I read that, I was shocked that warm water can make a betta age faster. With time, buy a bigger tank, at least a 2.5 gallon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store