New tank question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
I have to agree with sumthin fishy. Since you have had the tank set up since June 1, and added fish gradually, chances are that your tank has cycled. You have had no fish die, and that is a pretty good indicator that your water parameters are aok. Keep testing the water for all the dangers and we wish you best of luck. Don't forget to do your weekly water changes and use a dechlorinator. Most folks seem to like Prime the best.

Burnkat72

Registered Member
Aug 18, 2015
Jacksonville fl
SAD day for me!!! One of my awesome little clown loaches was sucked up by my filter (cannister filstar). It was still stuck to it when I found it today. I am guessing there isn't a way to avoid this? Really broke my heart.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
There is a few ways depending on your setup. A foam prefilter will distribute the suction over a greater area making it less likely that a fish get sucked in. Another idea could be an overflow box and the canister filter sucks it out of there.

jpierce3

AC Members
Aug 1, 2011
Western Ohio
SAD day for me!!! One of my awesome little clown loaches was sucked up by my filter (cannister filstar). It was still stuck to it when I found it today. I am guessing there isn't a way to avoid this? Really broke my heart.
Generally speaking, heathy fish that are larger than fry don't get sucked up into filters. Are you sure the clown loach was heathy? Was he eating okay?

Reactions: Tifftastic

Burnkat72

Registered Member
Aug 18, 2015
Jacksonville fl
He was eating fine and looked fine too. Strange. It happened to a sword tail I had way early on too. I will look into other filter options as advised.

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
You can use a prefilter sponge or even use some pantyhose material to cover the filter intake.

GraphicGr8s

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Tampa, FL
Real Name
George
We think alike in this for sure.

Years ago a breeder was changing the water once a week. His wife changed the water in a couple of his grow out tanks every other day unbeknownst to him. He couldn't figure out why. Until his wife fessed up.

I tried that too and it's made me a believer in every day to every other day water changes.
I guess my quote got messed up from GraphicGr8s, but I am not sure what this breeder couldn't figure out. Can you explain further please.
My mind was too too far ahead of my typing.

...unbeknownst to him. He noticed that in certain tanks his fry were growing faster and stronger than in other tanks. He couldn't...

GraphicGr8s

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Tampa, FL
Real Name
George
OK now this is in no way recommended for amatuers.
I get home from the society auction about 10:30-11:00 pm. I've bought fish. I always buy fish. I generally don't have cycled empty tanks though. I take the hose, fill up tanks, add fish.
I've learned many of the members do the same thing.
How do we get away with it?
Simple. Low stocking of tanks. Water changes. We don't give ammonia time to build to toxic levels. And we're on well water in the same area these fish are farmed. Back when my aunt and uncle had their farm when it got cold they would run the well 24 hours a day to keep temps up. The fish were getting 100% water changes every hour or so. Again, they can do it because ammonia levels never get toxic.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store