New to the forum. Advice needed on buying a 125 gallon aquarium tank system

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

asrpdoc

Registered Member
Aug 19, 2016
Hi All,

I am new to the forum and new to salt water aquarium hobby. Any advice on buying a 125 gallon aquarium tank system would be very helpful.

I have been visiting local aquarium stores. They have been quoting $ 4200 - 4500 to deliver and assemble 125 gallon tank (which includes glass tank, stand, circulation pump, LED lighting assembly, protein skimmer, live rock 100 lbs, live sand 60 lbs, reef sump, Magdrive pump, plumbing parts and delivery charges).

I have been also looking at All in one tank systems like Redsea Reefer system (Red Sea Reefer XL 525 Rimless System 139 Gallon) which costs $2499 online. Of course this doesn't include live rock and sand.

I will be thankful if someone can let me know which route should I take in terms of costs and starting up with a good aquarium tank system. All in one tank system? OR assembled tank system?

Thank you so much.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Curious, do you have any FW experience? Welcome to AC!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Was just curious. Sometimes starting off straight into SW can cause a lot of despair. Read everything you can and stay open to all possibilities and variations. For me, building the tank straight up, selecting my own items is the long payoff. Often, kits/store set ups cut some corners in quality. Determining what you want the tank to be and house needs to be settled first.

Buying a system now without knowing your goal can be costly.

asrpdoc

Registered Member
Aug 19, 2016
Was just curious. Sometimes starting off straight into SW can cause a lot of despair. Read everything you can and stay open to all possibilities and variations. For me, building the tank straight up, selecting my own items is the long payoff. Often, kits/store set ups cut some corners in quality. Determining what you want the tank to be and house needs to be settled first.

Buying a system now without knowing your goal can be costly.
Thank you Rbishop. I wanted a bigger tank where I can have corals and fishes that I wanted. Moved into a new home which has plenty of space. I have been reading online and visiting local stores and picking their brains. My goal is to establish SW reef setup with coral and fishes. That's why I didn't want to go with a smaller tank which limits the number/type of fish.

Any suggestions on the All in one systems? Please let me know.

Thank you :)

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I don't have any suggestions really but want to say welcome to the forum and....wow! Having a complete system delivered and installed is such a strange thought to me. I like to do things the hard and long way, hands on, piece by piece and DIY whatever I can. ;) I look forward to hearing and most of all seeing what you end up with!! Good luck with your fishy adventures!

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I don't know if the salt water all in ones have this issue, but with the freshwater enclosed systems you have the problem the parts needed for maintenance (filter media for example, or a fitting, or a lightbulb) being costly to replace as they are unique to that system. Sometimes they become nearly impossible to replace without retrofitting if the system becomes discontinued or changed.
I think piecing things together is my preferred way of going as sometimes one company has a better lighting system, while another has a better filter for example.

Also, while you know that you want both fish and corals it might be good to try to decide on a particular species you have to have, as then exactly what you're going to need can be tailored to that.

I'm afraid, having never ventured to saltwater myself, that's the most advice I can give. Looking forward to seeing what you decide on.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Until you determine stocking and corals, it's hard to recommend a specific system, at least for me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store