[NOOB] I need help.. have tank somewhat set up and running.. 30g Hex

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lotsofkids24

AC Members
Jul 19, 2012
o.k. i started off with this 30g est. tank. Have a water fall filter (aqua tech filter) and a Lee's aquarium Protein skimmer. & a bubler with a smallish pump.. has 100w heater in it.. but the water still feels cold? the heating light shuts off a cpl minutes after being plugged in.

The tank i have all set up. I put live sand on the bottom. and bought one of the Add salt boxes from petco for 10g i got 3 of them and added all 3 i havnt checked gravity yet. i have had tank running for about a week with no fish ect. in it

I have been told i need to take out sand and put pvc pipes on the bottom the put window screen over that and then re-add sand? to make better filtration?

i plan on buying a UV sterilizer.
i donot have a hood/light ATM
For the hood i was just going to cut Plexi Glass to fit? cant really find hoods with it being a HEX
And for light.. can i just use a Regular light? as long as i have the UV sterilizer?

My goal is to have 2 clowns :) and quite a few crabs/cleaner type invertebrates that live in the tank also.
i wanted to wait till fish and invertabrates are in tank till i buy live rock? good idea?
Pictures
photo5.JPGphoto4.JPGphoto3.JPGphoto2.JPGphoto.JPG

Any suggestions on what else to do?

photo.JPG photo2.JPG photo3.JPG photo4.JPG photo5.JPG

Last edited:

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
No, you don't need to add screen and pvc your sand is fine. I would figure out what the SG is, and get some live rock it'll help with the cycle, UV isn't really needed. Since your not doing corals the particular light type doesn't matter much other then looks.

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
im not a saltwater expert but i know you need lots of water movement. that filter looks to be very small. do you plan on adding power heads for better water movement?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Only way to tell for sure if the heater is working is to check the temp with a thermometer.

No need for pipes or screen. There are uses for these but not required (and can do more harm tahn good if not setup/maintained correctly).

Don't use plexi for a top. It will scatch, become covered in slat creep, reduce gas exchange (impacting pH), etc. Instead go buy yourself a window screen kit at HD and some extra corner connectors (will need more than the 4 that comes with the kit due to the hex). Then go to www.bulkreefsupply.com (or wherever you can find it) and order their 1/4" netting to use with the fram you build. This is easy and cheap. Window screen will not work and 1/2" netting is typically too large. You won't need a cover for a while so you have time to get this together.

UV is up to you but also not required. Not saying it won't help but don't count on it preventing the intruduction of parasites into your system. it will make you water sparking clear though :).

You can use whatever lighting you want without corals. Keep in mind some lighting will produce a lot of heat and some kelvins (color temp) promote algae growth more than others.

Live rock goes in first and cycles (bacteria you need grows), then fish and other livestock go in (gradually).

Agree with more water movement. Get at least one but preferable 2 or more propeller type powerheads like Korallia, MaxiJets, etc. Its typically better to have multiple points of flow to create a more random environment and reduce/eliminate dead spots. You can go with a Vortech or controllable powerhead models (Tunze, Hydor/Koralia, etc) and you can probably get by with only one.

Keep that HOB filter clean and clean/change mechanical filter media often (once a week minimum).

Congrats on the new tank!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store