1. Please double check and update your email address --> http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details
    Dismiss Notice

Northern pufferfish

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Only (FO) / Fish Only With Live Rock (' started by newbie breeder, Jan 8, 2012.

1. newbie breeder

newbie breeder AC Members

I'm wondering how much these cost?

2. Arakkis

Arakkis AC Members

dude it's a native species, I don't think you're gonna get a reply

3. newbie breeder

I know it's native species, I was wondering if anybody would pay to have these in their tank.

4. Khemul

Khemul Sea Bunny

Well, I've seen Checkered Puffers go for around $40 at close to adult size. Not sure how well they sell at that though since it is pretty rare to see anyone attempting to sell them around here.

The problem with native species is you typically can't get a general price on them. You simply slap a moderate price on them and hope they sell. A common saltwater puffer (depending on species) tends to range $10-40. Find someone who really wants one and you can maybe jump into the less common medium-sized puffer range of $40-80. Personally, based on the looks of the Checkered/Southern/Northern puffers I'd be surprised if they sold outside of the $40 and below range.

5. newbie breeder

This summer I was thinking about getting some SW tanks and go out collecting. I was thinking $10-$20 a pufferfish. I can catch them with a net to cause minimal injury on them. I can get them at around 3-5inches each and apparently they grow 8-10inches max.

6. newbie breeder

Tell me if there is any interest. I can also get baby 2-3 inch kingfish

7. EesaS

EesaS Registered Member

I would, I think they are wonderfully ugly. How much would you be looking to sell for, excluding shipping costs?

8. SubRosa

SubRosa AC Members

Old post, and it looks like the op hasn't been around in a while. I catch them as bycatch when I go out collecting Caribbean tropicals. Get your post count up high enough to pm and get in touch with me in August.

9. kyeung28

kyeung28 AC Members

Catch northern puffers and northern kingfish at the beach all summer.. should start a micro native habitat

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app