1. Please double check and update your email address --> http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

Old Black Neon Bloated and breathing heavy..

Discussion in 'General Freshwater' started by Vincenia, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Vincenia

Vincenia AC Members

Kayla
    I have 10 Black Neon Tetras, 3 are about 5 years old... One of my 5 yr old tetras are very bloated and she can barely swim... what should I do? I don't have any peas to give her or the money to do so till Friday or Sat... I don't want her to suffer. :[

2. Vincenia

Vincenia AC Members

Kayla
    I ended up euthanizing her...

3. jpappy789

jpappy789 Plants need meat too

Josh
    Not exactly sure, but a 5 year old black neon may have been on its last breath...I would be comfortable assuming it was age related as long as everything else is in check. Definitely keep an eye on the other fish though since you don't want something like internal parasites to go unnoticed.

4. cicrush13

cicrush13 AC Members

Steve
    +1, I usually go this route as long as it's really age related.

5. Vincenia

Vincenia AC Members

Kayla
    I do have 2 other black neons that are 5 yrs old and are just fine...

6. jpappy789

jpappy789 Plants need meat too

Josh
    Well, like humans, a certain age isn't exactly a death sentence. Health issues can arise depending on genetic predispositions.

I'm just saying that 5 years is around the max I'd expect out of a black neon. And unless you raised these from eggs, it's hard to know specific age anyways. Your other older tetras probably wont last much longer, just how their lifecycles work. But they could...lots of variables to consider.

I wouldn't rule out another factor. Sudden bloating symptoms are hard to diagnose because the direct cause is usually something internal and most of us don't have the tools to dissect our fish to find the root of the issue. Like I said, unless your other fish (especially the younger ones) are affected as well and your water checks out then I think it's still safe to assume that age was a factor. Not much you can do about that but make sure it isn't something else you can control (ie. internal parasites, indigestion/blockage).

7. fishorama

fishorama AC Members

I agree, you did the best for your fish. I suspect age related kidney failure, not anything much you can do for it except prolong the end with Epsom salts...& that's often temporary. Euthanasia is a good option, don't feel bad. Keep an eye on your other aging tetras, everyone dies of something...

8. Vincenia

Vincenia AC Members

Kayla
    I'm keeping an eye on the remaining old tetras. The others are eating and stay close to each other, sometimes chasing one of the younger female tetras...