Photo update of Mikula Group Nyatzi

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Crazy Cat Lady

Registered Member
Sep 6, 2015
A Place Full Of Cats
First: love your user name - we are cat people too :)

They are commonly known as "frontosa" which is not totally accurate as their species name is "gibberosa." Full name is: Cyphotilapia gibberosa (Zaire Blue Mikula). Mikula being the collection place where they were rounded up in Lake Tanganyika, Congo, Africa.

"Nyatzi" is Setswana and it is translated "the lover." I don't know how to write in phonetic characters.... the N is long and the rest is pronounced like the game Yahtzee. Emphasis is on the N.

You have to be careful what African name you give your frontosa because they will live up to their name. I once named an Alpha male, Ntchwaidumela "He who greets with fire." He proceeded to kill six of his siblings. From now on, they get more peaceful names :)

The alpha male in my 240-gallon tank is named "Tau" translated "lion" and the subdominant male earned his African name when he snuck in a spawn with one of Tau's females. His name, "Ntate" which is translated, "Father." I have fun with it.
That's awesome. :D My goldfish had babies and I gave the babies ironic names, we have Fillet, Crumbed, Poached, Seafood-Extender, Goog (as in googy egg) and Fish-Schtick. We did have Deep-Fried but he got sucked up the filter :( I love naming my fish, All my tetra groups are named after 80's rock bands and 90's boy bands. Haha ;)

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
I guess, I could have explained that a little better :) The flash over powers all other light sources. I do have lights on the tank but, when using the flash, they only serve to help you focus on the subject and they don't add any "color" to the image.

Camera is an entry level DSLR, a Canon EOS Rebel T2i and the lens is a Tamron wild angle zoom (24mm). Flash is a Canon Speedlite 430EXII and the remote transmitters are Yongnuo YN622C.

To diffuse the light, I made my own diffuser, a styro container with a hole cut in the top :)

Thanks for the kinds words!

Cheers,
Russ
Thank you for clearing that up. Not a high tech rig by any means. I am still mulling over buying a flash and trigger for my D3200 - keep putting it off. For fish external flash seems to be a better option than a faster lens (and much cheaper in any case). Advantage of fast lens quickly disappears when stopping down anyway.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store