PLEASE HELP MY CATFISH!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Definitely some type of synodontis catfish and I'd say the tank needs to be cleaned big time. The picture with the catfish I assume that is gravel from the tank in the bowl? You can see how much gunk is in the gravel. This becomes toxic to the fish. Cichlids and syno cats are pretty tough so I'd suggest doing a proper gravel vac and 50% water change asap. Make sure the new water coming in is close to the tank water in temperature at the least (I know you don't have a test kit, get one of those asap too). Look up gravel vacuuming on youtube if you need details.

Haileycookie11

AC Members
Sep 4, 2016
My roommate said it's a 70 gallon tank? My roommate has had fish in it for years. The other fish in the tank are African cichlids. I don't believe we have a test kit, not sure of the parameters, I would have to ask the roommate but he is asleep unfortunately at the moment. I have attached a picture of the tank if it helps. I wish I had more tank info but the tank but I do know he has had cichlids in it for long before I moved in. We have had the catfish in the tank for about 6 months and they have never had an issue until today.

View attachment 218234
Sooo...umm....african cichilds are very aggressive fish, your catfish could be stressed but your problem is unusual, your catfish looks like a pleco but im not sure, so watch the tank and let me know if they chase each other? sorry if i spelled wrong

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store