Pleco dietary needs...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ChileRelleno

500+ jumps-n-counting,SKYDIVE!
Feb 10, 2005
Mobile, AL
cyberbeer65 said:
What about canned spinach,any thoughts?
Way way too soft, it'll fall apart and foul the whole tank.
When you blanch a lettuce or green your just softening/wilting it a little not cookingit to a slimy pulp like fully cooked spinach/greens.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Well, I tried parsnip and the otos liked that for a little bit, pleco for a little bit. Not much excitement there. I must have nuked it too long 'cause I had parsnip "slime" floating in the tank :rolleyes: Changed water and threw in a broccoli stem. THAT went over really well. Dang pleco won't let anyone else near it.

Roan

Galaxie

AC Members
Feb 4, 2005
VA
newbeestl said:
Are most of these veggies good for otos as well as plecos?
Probably, but at a fraction of the quantity. I've only ever seen my otto sucking on glass though.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
All of my otos (2 tanks) like zucchini. They don't go "pl*co" over it, but they do love it :)

Question:
What is the best type of wood for --

A) candy striped pleco
b) common pleco

I have Malaysian and bogwood in various tanks. The common has been sucking on the bogwood, but he hasn't had Malaysian. Dunno about the candy pleco, he has bogwood but he's upstairs and I've only ever seen him under the wood on the gravel.

Probably doesn't like it.
Advice?

Roan

Halo

Puppies with Fins!
Sep 18, 2005
Maylasian or bogwood are both equally good choices for your fish. Don't fret that you never see the candy strip sucking on it, he's looking for meaty treats more than bits of wood or algae.
Your common has less descriminating tastes, and will nosh on just about anything he can scrub up. He does'nt digest wood, but he can get algae and bulk fiber out of it.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Halo said:
Maylasian or bogwood are both equally good choices for your fish. Don't fret that you never see the candy strip sucking on it, he's looking for meaty treats more than bits of wood or algae.
Huh, that will work out good :) He's in a tank with some dollars and they always go for the veggie stuff first, then the bloodworms and shrimp. So he's getting some meat.

I think I'll move him into another tank when I upgrade everyone so that he can get control of the carnivore stick studded zucchini. I tried to find shrimp sticks, but all my store had was carnivore sticks. They really like those ones.

Your common has less descriminating tastes, and will nosh on just about anything he can scrub up. He does'nt digest wood, but he can get algae and bulk fiber out of it.
Nod, I've seen him doing that on off-veggie day. Today is broccoli day and he loves that stuff.

Thanks for the advice, Halo

Roan

inxs

AC Members
Mar 25, 2002
Litchfield, CT
www.picturetrail.com
Although this is a good post about mixing up the diet for plecos (as for any fish) You have to remember that "pleco" is a generic name and usually hints to loricaridae.
For many of the "plecos" such as commons, sailfin, hypostomus, etc the diet requirements are mixed with veggies, dry and meaty foods and they do like to chew on wood.

Panaques should be fed protein very sparingly and must have wood as they eat it and it helps them digest any protein fed.

My albino ancistrus will eat only vegetable based products and dry goods.

Hypancistrus (zebra plecos, queen arabesque and others) will not (or very rarely) eat veggies. They are predominantly carnivores and should be fed accordingly. The same goes for pseudocanthicus - though I think I have seen a few of mine chewing on zucchini.

As mentioned previously, THe Cat-elog on planetcatfish.com is a great source and if you have some unusual plecos, do check it out for their requirements.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store