Pleco for 10 gallon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Molino

Alien or ugly Fish?
Oct 1, 2002
Alberta, Canada
members.shaw.ca
I'm setting up a 10 gallon tank for shell dwellers (multies) and wouldn't mind some type of algea eater. Originally I was under the impression a 10 gallon would be too small even for a bristlenose or clown pleco. However at www.cichlid-forum.com they sugest three multies and one bristlenose for a 10 gallon.

Is this possible, or is it only something I should do if I plan on moving the pleco into a larger tank (33 gallon) once it gets bigger?

If you have any other suggestions please let me know.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
What do you want the pleco for? If you're looking for a cleaner, then I'd go with otos instead. They stay smaller, and work harder, than many plecos. Of course, bristlenose--just one--will be fine, without adding too much waste. They work hard as juvenile, but get lazy as they age, IME. Also, you'll want to add driftwood to the tank, which may complicate keeping the pH where it should be (not sure, I have no high pH tanks, but know that the wood lowers the pH in softer water tanks).

valerie

AC Members
Apr 18, 2001
Edmonton, AB
1 bristlenose pleco will be fine long term in a 10gal they only get about 4". I wouldn't do otos as they can be sensitive and don't alwasy do well in african rift ph. I would stick with a BN pleco.

Now as for the multies, where in edmonton did you find some?I'm wanting to set up a multie tank also. Are you orderign them in?

Last edited:

Molino

Alien or ugly Fish?
Oct 1, 2002
Alberta, Canada
members.shaw.ca
Thanks for the replies. The tank still has its old inhabitants which include one oto. I'm debating leaving him in, but like valerie said he may not agree with the slightly higher pH. On top of that even though multies are the smallest cichlid I hear they can be very aggresive for their size. I've also had bad luck with otos unless I have them in a planted tank.

I found some info on plecos at www.planetcatfish.com and according to them the clown pleco reaches just 4" and prefers pH of 6.8-7.6 whereas the bristlenose maxes out at 5" and prefers a slightly lower pH of 5.8-7.2. I think I'm leaning towards a clown pleco, they're also more attractive IMO (for a pleco), and I know where I can find them.

Valerie: I was at Aquarium Illusions a few months ago and asked about shell dwellers. They didn't have any but said they could probably order them in.

valerie

AC Members
Apr 18, 2001
Edmonton, AB
bristlenose plecos would be a better choice over a clown pleco since clowns won't help much with algae and are quite shy(might not be good with more aggresive shellies). Bristlenose plecos also do better then clowns in hard water since lots of the BN plecos we get around here are raised by hobbiests they are used to our hard water(ph7.8+). Also if you go to a cichlid forum they will recommend BN plecos, Most african keepers have one in their tanks.

As for size clowns are a bit smaller but all the Bn plecos i have(4) are about 3-4", none have ever gotten close to the 6" sometimes stated.

BUt i wouldn't worry about a pleco unless you get an algae problem down the road. Of course you can always jsut keep a pleco around because they are jsut so cool :p

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store