1. Please double check and update your email address --> http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

Polished River rocks aquarium Safe?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Newbie Forum' started by sivic, Mar 20, 2005.

1. sivic

sivic rum's my friend

Was at the dollar store with my girlfriend and saw some black polished river rocks. This would make a very nice addition to my aquarium but they do not say anything about aquarium use on the bag. Ive done alittle research about picking out aquarium safe rocks and majority of the posts say to use vineger to drop on the rock and see if it will foam or fizz. I just dont want to assume since it says polished river rocks that there hasnt been anything added in them.

2. flyfly

flyfly follow me on twitter @flyfly_mackay

I have kept polished river rocks in my setup at one time and they worked out fine for decoration. If you are using it for substrate, however, they should be more like tiny polished river pebbles.

3. msp75

msp75 AC Members

I have some that I bought at Home Depot that have been in my tank for a year with no problems, and I know my mom has had some in her tank for several years. Mine didn't say anything about being aquarium-safe, either.

I don't use them as substrate, though, just a few pretty ones scattered on top of regular medium-size aquarium gravel.

4. dimsem

dimsem Getting Feet Wet

Lost Cory---Low pH?

Sorry... I meant to start a new thread and posted in this one by mistake. :OT:

#4 dimsem, Mar 20, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  5. jonathan03

jonathan03 AC Members

Its more than likely they are safe. I remeber seeing them for sale at the lfs. If your still worried, soak them for a few days and rise them off good.

6. ghotiguy

ghotiguy Registered Member

polished river rocks

just be careful when buying from the dollar store i did this once and the rocks were painted black and the paint flaked off inside my tank.

7. Kelevra24

Kelevra24 AC Members

Should be fine, just watch for poor quality

8. blue2fyre

blue2fyre Blue Fish

Ashley
    I've used the polished rocks from the dollar store for a while without any problems.