Project Orange

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Micro Algae Grow arrived today. Started to aerate the jugs. Plankton should be started sometime tomorrow eve.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Running into some issues getting the aeration set up. I have quite a bit of O2 tubing from when my father was with us and thought I could use it. It is a bit smaller in diameter than the normal tubing but thought it would be ok. Got the rig all set up and nothing. Changed out manifolds....nothing. Changed from a 10g pump to a 40...nothing. Getting very upset. Found some old tubing and swapped it out, that worked. Adjusted the other tubing as well and now both are aerating. Guess this O2 tubing for the canula's is just too small. Poo. It's quite a bit to let go to waste. Maybe I can find some alternate uses for it.

I may have miscalculated the hatching date too. Only (4) females now carrying eggs. Drat! It looks like the first round might be a wash.

Phyto still going to need at least a week to get going and that won't start until tomorrow.

We'll see.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Forgot to update this. First round was a failure due to lack of proper setup. I didn't get everything in place in time and all eggs are gone. :(

I'll definately be ready for the next round.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Oh yeah. It happens. They definately berried up much sooner than I was expecting. Ready to really get kick started on this but of course have to wait for them first. ;o)

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Round 2 officially begins today. Found (2) berried females. One is holding a ton of eggs and the other about half as much. Now, by my calculations, I will leave them in the tank for just under 2 weeks before moving them into their hatching areas.

Will be getting the zoe tank going tomorrow.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Awesome project, James! I bet CB mandarins would go for a pretty penny too. Why not move the females over to the holding tanks further from their possible due dates?

I vote your next project should be ninja shrimp.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
I don't want to move to quick and risk dropping of eggs. The less stress I put on them the more zoe there should be. The females should only be there long enough to drop and then move back in the main tank.

Ninja shrimp eh. Might have to look into it. ;)

captaincaveman9

Innocent and Pure!
Oct 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Steve
Awesome project, James! I bet CB mandarins would go for a pretty penny too. Why not move the females over to the holding tanks further from their possible due dates?

I vote your next project should be ninja shrimp.
:iagree:

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
So... How does this work in the wild? Mama shrimps move downstream to brackish to hatch, shake-a-shake their tails, & then scoot back to fresher waters?

I tried googling Orange Mandarin shrimp breeding but kept stumbling across cooking recipes. :silly:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store