Project Orange

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
So... How does this work in the wild? Mama shrimps move downstream to brackish to hatch, shake-a-shake their tails, & then scoot back to fresher waters?

I tried googling Orange Mandarin shrimp breeding but kept stumbling across cooking recipes. :silly:
Google Sunkist shrimp or just caridina cf. propinqua.

What happens is that when the eggs hatch, they are in a larvae state called zoe. The currents then wash them out to sea where they will spend "x" time there until they morph into the adult form. Then, it's back up the river to fresh water.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
I vote your next project should be ninja shrimp.
Well .... I just did some research. Definately sounds like they would fit this project perfectly. Only problem is finding them.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Phyto is now curing. I'm having some reservations as the cultures are pretyy light. They should be ok but we'll see. Here's my set up for this round of testing:

Seawater at 1.026/35PPM. In this bottle, I added 10ml of Dunalliela Salina.

Brackish water at 1.014/19PPM. In this bottle, I added 10ml of Nannochloropsis Oculata.

Each bottle then got 1ml of Macro Algae Grow.

They are sitting under a light (not sure of the wattage as I didn't look yet). I just wanted to get it started. Slow rolling with air pump.

Back in the shrimp tank, three ladies are now carrying eggs. Looks like the same pattern as last time.

MacMyers

AC Members
Sep 14, 2010
Palm Harbor, FL
Real Name
Mac Myers
This is a great thread. Thanks much. :headbang2:

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
It's early yet but phyto not showing any growth signs just yet. It's only been 1 day. I may just have to add a bit more to the cultures but we'll keep an eye on it. I misjudged my calculations on my culture station so will have to get more materials. This will enable me to culture all (4) phytos. I'm starting to think about starting them in a set medium. Probably 1.014. I'll have to play with the numbers a bit to calculate the salt to water ratio during the tests.

There are now (4) berried females. Definately following the same pattern. I expect the other females will be berried by Sunday.

Getting ready to make some more salt water. Once the phyto is ready to split, then rearing tanks will be established.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Progressing well as far as the culturing medium. The Nannochloropsis is starting to take hold. The Dunalliela is still not showing. Will give it one more day before I give it another shot.

No further berried females in the tank like I thought there would have been. One of the females is turning the dark color. I'll try and figure that one out later.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Plant life in where? The tank that the zoe will be in?

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Only phytoplankton.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store