Quarantine

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

railer20

AC Members
Oct 15, 2020
Kansas
Yes, but you could also look at real wood too. Some plecos need or at least like wood to graze on. BNs are a bit iffy in that way; some say they "need" wood. Or do a combo of wood & the ceramic tube, give it a choice. Might be hard to break his sponge filter hiding habit...
My local fish store carries Manzanita so may get some of that since it supposedly doesn’t stain the water.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Suppose on my friend, lol. I'm not saying anything against manzi or any other wood. It may or not stain your water but that's not a big deal...it'll depend on your BN's preferences for grazing & if you can make a couple caves. Maybe Mopani or Malaysian instead of manzi? Manzi tends to be thinner sticks. Mopani seems very hard & smoother on it's upper tan surface. I prefer Malaysian slightly...but there are other woods too..soft woods like pine are not the best choice. They tend to take a longer time to become water saturated & sink . I have a nice piece of manzi sitting on my patio I've tried soaking a few times but thinner wood also dries out faster...

There really isn't just 1 right answer, experiment! & see what works for your tank & fish...it'll cost maybe $8 or so...don't be so cheap that you miss a few easy ways to make your fish happier & your tank prettier. Wood & plants often can last for many years...trivial in the long term...

Reactions: railer20

railer20

AC Members
Oct 15, 2020
Kansas
I got my fish in QT today. Question on feeding. Do you all wait a week to feed? I’ve seen a lot of things say don’t feed for a week (or at least 4 to 5 days)?

for my main tank I bought a couple pleco caves to add and then a decent size chunk of wood to try (soaking on day 4 now to try and get most of the tannins out).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store