Question about my aquatic snail

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

IVIatthew

Registered Member
Mar 11, 2016
Okay I didn't know they crawl out of tanks, I came home and found him on the table hidden in his shell could've been overnight and some part of the day, and his bottom suction part was dark brown and hard, I didn't give up on him and put him in water and noticed he moved around, now it looks as if the dry part is shedding off and parts of him, but for the first time in a day he is suctioned to the side of the glass, is this normal? Can they heal like us? Also do you think he will live? I did not know he would leave the water! I was so sad but he is definitely alive but not sure what's going on with his body...

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
What kind of snail? Most of our snails species have a hard flap, operculum, that protects their delicate inside bits when they go into their shell, which is probably what you are describing by "his bottom suction part was dark brown and hard"? But I'm not sure what you mean by "dry part is shedding off and parts of him"? For what it's worth snails with operculums can retain the moisture in their shell and be ok for quite awhile out of the water.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
Sounds like a Mystry Snail. Likely there is an issue with the tank as they only leave water to lay eggs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store