Read this before using the inch/gallon "rule"

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

marlihen

Yes, that's me.
Jul 16, 2005
Massachusetts
Here is another thought...

...How about forgetting the "inch per gallon" rule, simply because not all fish swim at the same levels? If I have too many bottom feeders and nothing else, well, what a boring set up! And, unhappy fishes as well. The same goes for those on the surface: here, let's put 10 African Butterfly fish in one tank! Hmmm....I am thinking CARNAGE! Every fish has it's own pesonality, space requirements, companion preference, etc. But, at least in my experience, people who 'have' fish are not interested. People who 'keep' fish are the ones who make sure they (the FISH) are happy, healthy, and well cared for. Rant off.
~steps down from soapbox~

Smiles, marli

Larissa

Katherine Hope
Jun 9, 2005
brenham, tx
well, i read this whole thread and all most people said was don't use the inch/gallon rule and research your fish. Well, I've researched the fish, I know the adult size of what I have and I also know the max size tank recommended for each type of fish I have. That still doesn't tell me how many fish I can put in my tank.

mt_marcy

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
"the myth"

Ok, so I understand the 1 inch per gallon rule is un reliable....Who and how did this myth get started/come about? If it's such a myth, then why do employees at the lfs's, as well as books and articles on the net(for notes on the net, i know that is to be taken with as "grain of salt") explain/state this rule to use? They make it sound so factual....That's propably how employees at the lfs's got it from, by researching in the books...Anyone know how this myth got started, so that people who write books on fish keeping refers to this???
mt_marcy:)

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
In the same manner that adding salt to FW tanks became common. Someone wrote it down, others copied that to seem more "knowledgeable" than they really were, and it bacame another aquarium myth. But it does work for small, slender-bodied fish to some degree, provided that the maximum size of the fish involved is used (not the LFS purchase size). Nothing beats knowing what the fish needs and what size and activity level it will show.

poysen

AC Members
Aug 16, 2005
That rule is in place as a guideline, but how does one know where in that guideline you fall. You say do your homework.

I did that for MONTHS before buying/looking at fish. All I saw was one site after another contradicting what the last site said.

NO help at all.

I asked at local shops. To verify information.

THEY gave me INCORRECT info. (I was new, I didn't know they were full of it) Now I'm down to 2 fish out of 5. One of them is still sick and probably won't pull through.

Is that my fault? I did everything right. But the end result (bad advice from not one, but TWO local shops) is why I and maybe my fish are currently in hell.

I asked around at locally owned pet shops, but 2/2 have both gave me critically bad advice and information. One blames the other one for having sold me sick fish and claims my tank is contaminated. (Fish all looked healthy when bought.. but my expereince has shown they don't always look sick until close to death) Nothing and no one says the same thing as anything else.. so one, such as myself spending months, and hours on end looking for info is not much further ahead than the one not having researched. I tried.. I failed.. not fully my fault, but I'm to blame too I guess.

My point.

Where do we get ACCURATE info? And where can we learn what is and isnt accurate before it's in a situation that I'm in now? I'm not a cruel person. I don't want any creature to suffer. And it breaks my heart seeing them sick/dying. Like I said I lost 3 swords in 2 weeks. One left is ill. May or may not pull through. I've already begun looking for a NEW shop and will NOT use either shop again for stocking any tank. I did all this 'homework' hoping to avoid the very disaster I'm in now.. and it got me nowhere.

Just like it's frustrating to you all to see people dive into this fishkeeping uninformed, it's just as frustrating on my end to do all that and still falter. I in no way neglected my tank. I did daily changes, daily tests. I did all the maintaining correctly. The critical stocking stage was all that got marred and what did me in. I ALWAYS research ANY living creature I care for. And never ever had any issues.. even with 'exotic' pets. To me this disaster is devastating and heartbreaking. I don't want anymore sick fish.. but am afraid tank might truly be contaminated. Any suggestions? (main tank was treated with Fungus clear too.. at which point to treat all fish since all looked iffy. Guppy appears healthy and might make it)

Please excuse my venting my frustrations. It's not easy learning the trade when you have shoddy informative sources.. or plenty of contradictory ones. Just kinda pointing out that those that are in a bad situation are not always those to blame..

BTW. I was told that if my fish (both the 2 I have now) do not make it.. that I should break down tank, wash with bleach and start back at square one. Anyone else think this would be necessary? (If I restarted I would be using Bio-Spira to cycle tank and to not loose all the time I took to naturally cycle my tank in the last 6+ weeks.)

Last edited:

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Here is a replacement considering just biological room needed for a combination of fish.

research is still needed since you would need to know the adult size of the fish desired for it to do any good. The rest of the article addresses 2 more variables that would be first encountered when starting an aquarium.

poysen

AC Members
Aug 16, 2005
Thank you SnakeIce. I bookmarked that for any future references.

Yeah, I know most adult sizes of fish.. I swayed myself from putting the 2-3 clown loaches in a 10 gallon tank that my LFS said could be added and be 'just fine' to live. (I really have to have the WORST LFS's in my area.) LOL. So, I actually with hours of research knew better than that (thank goodness for the fish's sake)

jonsnow13

AC Members
Oct 3, 2005
i am fairly new at this myself. i am finding that it is easy to become overwhelmed at the amount of information out there.
info is often conflicting or just plain wrong. every1 has an opion, the only 1 that really counts however, is the fish's. so it is important to find a few good sources of info and stick with them to get u through the early learning phases.
i too fell for the 1 inch per gal rule and now have 2 clown loaches, 1 red tail black shark, 1 gold gourami, and 1 african dwarf clawed frog in my 30 gal. right now it is a happpy healthy well balanced tank but i will eventualy need a much larger tank. wait till one of ur fish is choking :eek: . try to find info on doing the heimlich on a fish :look: . lol. this happened to me yesterday. my smallest loach was choking and i had to do something and it worked. the only info i could find suggested that i take a pair of forceps and remove the obstruction. lol, 1 blade of the forceps i have r bigger than his mouth. anyways all i am saying is that sometimes the info that is available to us is not always the best or is good for 1 situation but not another, and that the best way to learn these things is to just keep at it.

poysen

AC Members
Aug 16, 2005
I agree Jon. I'm trying not to get too discouraged or frustrated.. and if it weren't for my son being so in love with the fish I might have given up on this... then again it wasn't a cheap setup lol.. maybe not. Anyway.. I'm trying to learn from the mistakes and aviod anything that I can to make it not happen again.

Step 1. No more swordtails. Ever.
Step 2. Never buy fish from the 2 shops I got mine at. I cannot determine what, if any shop sold me ill fish, but both shops have no clue on the care for them and that is enough on its own to go elsewhere.

The good news.. my tank is at least cycled.. and the fish that remain at least have stable waters to live in now.

RTR said:
Good post, Richer.
you have a good point but CONVICT CICLID is a bad example.

Left alone they will breed out their environment ,(like guppys) Put 4 1 inch convicts in a 30 gallon tank & in 2 years it's Mayhem.There would be hundreds of fry & could be 100 breedable adults without noticeable losses(though they take care of those themselves) A fullgrown Ciclid would be unnatural from wild or large tank to a small 30 gallon.They will only grow as big as the tank will allow ,so if you let them grow out in a 30 they wouldn't exceed 6inches thereabouts.Most other fish would be happy in that size tank without over breeding their own environment crashing their system without human intervention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store