Rebooting my 100 Gallon Reef Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Benson

Roll Tide!
Apr 8, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
Real Name
Benson Walker
Rebooting my 100 Gallon Reef Tank :(

Well, the bubble algae has finally won. I have been battlingit for the last 9 months. I had some in my old 90 and had bought a Foxface tobattle it. Of course he had no interest in it what so ever. I tried EmeraldCrabs with no luck at all. Even went as far as using H2O2 on the rocks thenfinally in the tank to no avail. It was growing faster that I could fight it.The other day I looked in the overflow and was just amazed how much was in theoverflow, growing in the return pipe and drain. On top of that I had the worstcase of red slime that I have been battling for the last three months. It wastime to nuke the tank.

In January I bought some dry rock from Bulk Reef Supply. It’sbeen in my old 40 gallon breeder cycling. I added Dr. Tim’s and have beenfeeding the tank ammonia since January. Just in case I decided to nuke mydisplay tank. The rock has been cycled for weeks. Between the bubble algae andthe red slime and fighting them both, the corals have either died and arecovered in bubble algae. So, I pulled all the rocks out of the display tank andput them in Brute cans full of fresh water and bleach. I have moved the fish tothe 40 gallon breeder for the moment and moved the rock with the anemones to a20 gallon long. Not sure how to get them off the rock that is covered in bubblealgae.

I drained the display tank and filled it with water andbleach to kill all the remaining algae. They whole system ran with the bleachwater, sump, power heads, heater (not on) and return pump, overflow, reactors, etc. I did this several times and now havefresh water and vinegar running in the tank.

Since I have this time I guess that I will be adding 2 T5 retrofit to my AI Sol Blues. I’m think of going with the ATI Coral + and a Purple +bulb combo. I will be changing the color of the back wall of the tank to darkblue instead of black. I’m planning on adding my old 90 gallon reef ready as adisplay refugium with live rock from TBS in it. The two tanks will be connectedto my single sump.

Pictures to follow…

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
Sorry to hear that you have to "nuke" it. Be sure to post pics when you get everything put back together. I have never had Nems so I wouldn't know how to get them of the rocks either unless you were to put them in a lighting or flow situation exact opposite of what they were in in the display tank.
If I remember correctly I believe I read in a thread where the nems kept moving from where they were placed it was because they didn't like where they were. So thinking along those lines, maybe reversing they set up they might move of the rocks on their own.
Does that make sense?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Wow, sorry you are having BA troubles but it sounds like you are doing all the right things and making the best of the situation.

An ice cube (under water of course) has been known to cause a nem to lift its foot. Increased/direct flow may work as well but the nem may not lift its foot as a result.

A 90 gallon display fuge sounds very cool! Look forward to the pics.

Benson

Roll Tide!
Apr 8, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
Real Name
Benson Walker
Sorry to hear that you have to "nuke" it. Be sure to post pics when you get everything put back together. I have never had Nems so I wouldn't know how to get them of the rocks either unless you were to put them in a lighting or flow situation exact opposite of what they were in in the display tank.
If I remember correctly I believe I read in a thread where the nems kept moving from where they were placed it was because they didn't like where they were. So thinking along those lines, maybe reversing they set up they might move of the rocks on their own.
Does that make sense?
Thanks for the info Wizard. I will give it a try. If I can get them off the rock they will go back into the display tank. The Clowns seem lost without them.

Benson

Roll Tide!
Apr 8, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
Real Name
Benson Walker
Wow, sorry you are having BA troubles but it sounds like you are doing all the right things and making the best of the situation.

An ice cube (under water of course) has been known to cause a nem to lift its foot. Increased/direct flow may work as well but the nem may not lift its foot as a result.

A 90 gallon display fuge sounds very cool! Look forward to the pics.
Hey Graham. Yeah, it was losing battle. I used to just dip my corals. I will quarantine them next time! I will try the ice cube tonight and see what happens.

Yeah, I thought the 90 would help with the water quality and any algae. While my test have been good, I must be over feeding to have the bubble algae spread so fast. I ran GFO, Carbon and bio pellets. I used stuff to rid the tank of the red slime and it seemed like the bubble algae loved it...

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Bubble algae can grow in the cleanest of tanks. Nothing you did per say. My LFS has a 100% SPS ULNS system with BA. Once its in, its in. You can get it to go away, it still may come back.

Benson

Roll Tide!
Apr 8, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
Real Name
Benson Walker
Well, I have restarted my tank with the new live rock. It is currently a FOWLR... I have just received some live rock form Liveaquaria that is curing in my 40 gallon breeder. Once it is done then i will start to build my display refugium. I may use a 40 B instead of my extra reef ready 90. I got two retro t5 units to add to my AI SOL Blues with ATI purple + and actinic bulbs. I will start work on them today.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store