1. Please double check and update your email address --> http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

Red Ceibal...

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by FishAddictJulez, Aug 19, 2010.

1. FishAddictJulez

FishAddictJulez AC Members

Does anyone have any experiance with these??

I just MUST find a pair!!

:p:​

2. Kalen

Kalen AC Members

Kalen
    They're a Uruguayan cichlid which means they don't get imported too often, so you will probably have a hard time finding them. When I have found them avaliable they have been between $5-$15 a piece at 1". They will also need to be kept at cooler temperatures and need an even cooler "wintering" period for about three months out of the year. From what I have read they're also pretty docile until they spawn, then they can become highly aggressive. Hope this helps.

3. abarilot

abarilot AC Members

Armand
  4. FishAddictJulez

Thanks..

I am going to continue to look for info on them before I try to get a pair...

:help:Anyone know of any good sites??​

5. toddnbecka

toddnbecka AC Members

I have a brood of oblongum fry growing out, they're about 1" and large enough to ship now. They're smaller, more colorful, and much less aggressive than the red ceibals. Even a spawning pair won't bother anything too large to eat, though on the other hand they aren't very effective at guarding their spawn from egg or fry-eating fish. Even Cory cats will eat their eggs if they spawn in a community tank.
    They're rare in the hobby; aside from being from Uruguay, no one seems to be able to find them in the wild to collect more. The Australoheros aren't as critical of cooler temps as the Gymnogeophagus. They'll do fine in a tank with or w/out a heater, but don't seem to require the cooldown period.
    Adult male:
    [​IMG]

Female:
    [​IMG]

6. abarilot

abarilot AC Members

Armand

7. FishAddictJulez

OK Todd.. I sent you a PM... Im going to check at the auction this weekend, but if I have no luck, plan on sending some my way!!

How many could I put in a 55g? I do water changes atleast twice a week... check water levels alot...

8. toddnbecka

toddnbecka AC Members

It's the oblongum that no one has been able to find, not the red ceibals. There are quite a few species of Australoheros, oblongum are the smallest (actually considered a dwarf chanchito) and are the mellow ones of the crowd. Males grow to about 5", females 4" max. Very strong pair-bonding fish, even when they aren't spawning the pair stays together and nobody gets beat up.

9. FishAddictJulez

I just MUST have some... a dozen would suffice...
    :naughty:​