1. Please double check and update your email address --> http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

red cherry shrimp qestion

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by COpathfindin, Feb 11, 2012.

1. COpathfindin

COpathfindin AC Members

Sam
    I have a small shrimp tank, I can see baby shrimp swimming around, they are tiny. I have a clown loach in a different tank which is not winning the fight for food. if I place the loach in the shrimp tank to eat the new born snails, will it eat the newborn shrimp as well? probably will not do this, but just curious about it as an idea.

2. Mgamer20o0

Mgamer20o0 BobsTropicalPlants.com
    Staff Member

3. Alasse

Alasse AC Members

Rebecca
    Definately yes it will

4. COpathfindin

COpathfindin AC Members

Sam
    figured as much. Guess I will wait until the new shrimps are a little bit bigger. once I have a thriving colony I wouldnt mind letting the runt in there for some food time. there is no way it could eat an adult shrimp, this loach is just far to small.

5. pixl8r

pixl8r MacroShrimpBreeder

If you do move the loach into the shrimp tank, keep a close eye. It could potentially wipe out your shrimp colony.

6. Alasse

Alasse AC Members

Rebecca
    Do not underestimate your small loach!

7. ElBoltonero

ElBoltonero AC Members

...so why don't you just move the snails to the loach tank?

8. COpathfindin

COpathfindin AC Members

Sam
    Well I was looking to kill several birds with one stone. by putting the runt loach in that tank, it would not have the competition, and might actually get a bit bigger. motive number 2 was something to eat these strange worm looking critters I see on the glass from time to time. I am questioning how clean the soil I used was.. and am pondering starting over with a different scape and a better cleaner soil in the bottom. any ideas as to how to control this strange population of critters, the shrimp couldnt care less about them.
    I was thinking maybe a few of the neon tetras I have could be moved over there for a day or 2 at a time, to kind of help clean up the non shrimp organisms in the tank. chances are they will get a few of the baby shrimps, there are lots of hiding spots so I am certain a few will get through.