red raised bymp on dojo loach

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
If she got stung by a clown loach it should go away in the next week, but by the absence of a mark in the skin it looks more like a tumor.
At what size did you get her?

Currently the stocking of the tank isn't sustainable, clown loaches get huge and need a tank of several 100 gallons. Here is a good article on them: https://www.loaches.com/species-index/clown-loach-chromobotia-macracanthus

The angel and the gourami are tropical, and don't outgrow the tank. There are many fish to choose from, but for one they all need to have the same temperature requirements (don't mix tropical/temperate, this can promote diseases as well) and they need to not grow bigger as like 5 to 6" adult size. There are other loaches that are similar to the clown loach that stay smaller like the yoyo, striata, kubotai etc.
I would re home the clown loaches. If you don't know anyone contact the Ohio Fish Rescue at face book they have a network with people with big tanks and they will arrange for the fish to be picked up so they can live their lives in appropriate sized tanks.

celestialcc

AC Members
May 20, 2020
thank you again for all of your help. we will keep an eye on the dojo, i hope its not a tumor. i will definitely have him look for fish that are more compatible/tropical.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
I figured that, they grow very fast in tropical temperatures. That's 8" in 9 months..
There are many dozens of fish that you can keep, just look for small community fish like barbs, tetras, rainbowfish, etc. It's a matter of personal preference. When you're not sure just ask on this forum.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Really confused on how many fish are in and have been living in the 55gal.

55's are way too small for clown loaches and depending on what you feed and how much gets added into the tank, your water change regimen may not have been enough. I would never recommend adding various meds to the water unless you know what you are treating for.

Do you have a read in PPM for nitrates? A high nitrate environment for too long will weaken fish's immune system.

I always wanted a dojo/weather loach!! For what ever reason they're on some "invasive species" list for NY state, so they can't be sold here. I've never seen or heard of anyone seeing or catching them in local waterways.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store