1. Please double check and update your email address --> http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details
    Dismiss Notice

Red Tide or What

Discussion in 'Saltwater Illness and Disease' started by stokesrl, Aug 13, 2011.

1. stokesrl

stokesrl Registered Member

I have had some stuff that keeps covering the walls of my tank on top of my coralline algae. It doesn'r really grow on anything else. It varies between brow/rust and a crimson color. It has a texture similar to velvet. It is very very difficult to scape off. Here is a photo:
    tank.jpg

I have 20k metal halides and 420 power compacts. Water PARMS are good.

Any Ideas would be appreciated

tank.jpg

2. Arakkis

Arakkis AC Members

it's a fuzzy algae, a good turbo snail will eat it

or it could be bryopsis.. in which increase your Mg to over normal params to kill it

3. stokesrl

stokesrl Registered Member

bryopsis is green, right? I've got some turbos... Maybe I need need to fire.

4. Ace25

Ace25 www.centralcoastreefclub. com

Not quite that simple. Simply dosing Mag to 1500-2000 levels does not seem to have any effect on hair algae. It is something within Kent Tech-M when used to raise mag to close to 2000 that seems to kill it. Simply dosing Mag supplement from Bulkreefsupply or B-Ionic doesn't seem to have any effect on hair algae but I don't think that is what the OP has anyway.

Turbo snails seem to get "lazy" after a few months and don't do nearly as much work as they do initially. I would toss in a couple new turbos and see how they act. It is a cheap way to try and solve it and if it doesn't you have a couple new cleaners anyway.

5. greech

greech AC Moderators

Graham
    Sounds like turf algae if it is more encrusting but soft. My recommendation would be a tuxedo urchin and some new turbos like Ace mentioned. Of course scraping the glass and siphoning it out would work too :)