Reef Lighting Newbie

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MagicSmokeAquarist

AC Members
Nov 14, 2020
Hi, so I'm new to saltwater, and I was wanting to add a few live corals and or anomonies to my aquarium. From what I was told, the only thing to make a reef tank a reef tank is corals, which only require really good lighting. Is this correct? I thought it was more specific water chemistry. If it is, or at least a part of it, is this light that I have for it suitable for the tank?

Amazon.com: AQUANEAT LED Aquarium Light Full Spectrum for 18 Inch to 24 Inch Fish Tank Light Fresh Water Light Multi-Color: Home Improvement

I have the 48"-54" light, and I keep it on from about 7 am to 9-11pm.

NoahLikesFish

AC Members
Dec 1, 2020
Indiana
Real Name
Noah
Nah it depends on the coral, get a window and like a fluval planted light and use like Xenia and macroalgae, nems need food and light they aren’t too hard I think, if you put it in sun ur safe cos those coral grow in sun in nature.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Hi, so I'm new to saltwater, and I was wanting to add a few live corals and or anomonies to my aquarium. From what I was told, the only thing to make a reef tank a reef tank is corals, which only require really good lighting. Is this correct? I thought it was more specific water chemistry. If it is, or at least a part of it, is this light that I have for it suitable for the tank?

Amazon.com: AQUANEAT LED Aquarium Light Full Spectrum for 18 Inch to 24 Inch Fish Tank Light Fresh Water Light Multi-Color: Home Improvement

I have the 48"-54" light, and I keep it on from about 7 am to 9-11pm.
A reef tank requires a lot of factors to be successful, including proper lighting and a commitment to maintaining correct water parameters.Putting a reef rtank in front of a wndow isn't always the wisest thing, as it can lead to too much light and leave you unable to control the light so that your inverts stay healthy. The best way to become familiar with keeping a reef tank is to do research and then come back with more specific questions. There is a lot involved, too much to post in a response.

WYite

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store