Rescued fish in distress?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Laney

Registered Member
Jun 5, 2015
Hello,
I really need help! I know nothing about fish and never intended to have one. I'm overwhelmed with internet info and I don't know who to listen to. Last Saturday, I was walking my dog in the morning and I came upon a small goldfish in the middle of the sidewalk. He was on the concrete in the sun and covered in mulch. He was alive, but I have no idea how long he was there. I found a discarded cup in a nearby trash can, had a stranger fill it with tap water and rushed him home. He was in the cup maybe 10 minutes. I didn't have a fish tank, so when I got home I put him in a large Brita water container (maybe 1-2 gallons) with some spring water from a bottle. I didn't try to do anything else at that point, as I had to go to work and I figured he'd been through enough. He survived the day and seemed okay. On my way home from work, I got a 10 gallon starter tank by Tetra with a lid and filter. I set it up as instructed, filled it with water, put in the recommended amount of water conditioner and safe start and I tried to acclimate the little guy to the temperature of the new tank as best I could. In he went. All seemed well. He was active and looked to be thriving. I got a dip type water testing kit (by Tetra) that has one strip to test for ammonia, and another to test 6 other factors (hardness, nitrite, etc.) Everything has come back within the safe and normal ranges on the tank every time I test. However, Wednesday I noticed a tiny blackish area on his top fin. This morning, his belly and head have more blackish areas on them. They are not exactly spots, more like he's been painted with a black water color paint. The water is still testing in "safe" zones on the strips. He is active and eating.
What I know: I think he's an Oranda based on what the other fish at the pet store look like. He's small, maybe 3-3 1/2" from nose to tip of his fin.
Questions: Is it ammonia burns and are they from his trauma on Saturday, or is it a current water condition issue causing new burns? If it's ammonia burns, what should I do? I was planning 20 -25% water change this weekend, should I do it sooner?
More General questions: When I do the water change, how far in advance do I put in the water conditioner and safe start into the new water that I'm preparing? The general consensus says I will need a 20 gallon tank, but I need a bit of time to work that into my tiny, tiny apartment. How long is it reasonable to keep him in the 10 gallon? I understand the water test strips aren't that great. What kind of kit should I get? I've been giving him 2 - 4 flakes of goldfish food per day-is this about right (feeding info on the web is frustratingly vague)? Is there anything else I can do for this little guy to help him along?
I know I probably did alot of things wrong, but I did the best I could. Please help me help this little fish.

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
How incredible to find a goldfish on the sidewalk! And how kind of you to go to all this trouble to save the little guy.
Without seeing him, it is very hard to diagnose his black spots. Some goldfish are gold and black. Is it possible that this is just his normal coloration? It could also be sunburn or some kind of reaction to the mulch. If he is eating and swimming and behaving fairly normally, that is all good.
Water changes are always good. Don't hesitate to do them.
Best water test kit is the liquid freshwater master kit from API. If you don't want to buy the master kit, you can buy the ammonia test kit separately, but the liquid tests are generally more reliable than the strips.
If this little fish lives for a few weeks after his ordeal, I would say you could keep him in the ten gallon for a while, at least a few months, unless he grows super big super fast.
You can buy a product called Melafix which might help him, if the black areas are a bacterial infection of some kind. It is a good product and quite safe.
I wish I could be of more help, and I wish you good luck with him. You are to be congratulated for your good deed.
I sure wish he could tell us how he ended up on the sidewalk.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Gotta be one of the oddest fish stories I've heard! Kudos to you working to do the best for this little guy. A 10g is going to be tough and require several big water changes per week to keep nitrates low (once the cycle is settled). I've read it said that you need 20g at a minimum for a single fancy goldfish and 10g for each additional. I'd get a 29g at on of the $1/gal sales and get him a buddy. Goldies do much better with other goldies.

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
Freshy Fresh is so right about a companion fish. They have those $1 a gallon sales at Petco quite often. You could call them and ask them when the next one will be.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I'd recommend keeping him in the 10 until he is up and healthy and even then for a few months you should be fine. Feed what they can eat, a small bit at a time in 2-3 minutes, and maybe 2-3 times a day. Plenty of water changes are always best with unknown illness. And the smaller tank will minimize the amount of meds needed. Until you can identify the illness specifically, I wouldn't shot gun treatments, just rely on frequent daily water changes to keep ammonia at zero and use a good water treatment such as Prime.

Shaneisthisguy

AC Members
Jun 7, 2015
San Diego
Real Name
Shane
Just have to say, this story made my day man! Your a hero in me and that fishes eyes! This brilliant fish wizards will tell you all you need to know. Just very super happy that you did that!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store