Salamander help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jam L

Registered Member
Jul 26, 2015
Sorry if this is the wrong section to post this in. I Woke up this morning to find my roughback newt belly up with a small stick on top of her. I moved the stick, and she didn't move. My first thought was "She's dead." And I washed my hands and picked her up to dispose of her. I looked at her a bit and she moved ever so slowly, and then again. I couldn't find any real help on the Internet, so I put her on a moist bit of hard mud with a small cover, splashed some distiller water on her, and put some of the food my salamanders eat in front of her.

I guess my question is; does anyone know what's going on? She was a little dry when I found her, and she was moving yesterday and ate the day before just fine.

Bottomfeeder2

Lancelet
Aug 31, 2008
Was she belly-up underwater? Or on land?

Does she show any signs of injury, or appear abnormal in any way?

When you say under a stick... was she pinned underneath it? If she was trapped on land and dried out, put her in some clean, dechlorinated water that's deep enough to cover her, but shallow enough that she can reach the surface with her face as needed to breathe... I've had firebelly toads go missing while I was away and had to "revive" them after they began to dry up. It takes a few hours, but generally, they will recover.

(Also - when you say roughback newt, do you mean the rough-skinned newt from the west coast of North America? Just for reference)

Keep us updated!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store