Shell Dwelling Multis-Neolamprologus Multi

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
I will be receiving 6 of these in a few days. I have read and done my home work for about a year as this is one of the few fish I've not worked with. Any advice you could lend would be greatly appreciated. Also if you happen to have some I'm looking to add to the gene pool.

THANKS

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
As small as they are it might be tempting to put them in a tank according to their size. However their presence is larger than they are and thus a male and attached harem needs not much less space than say a pair of convicts will defend in a rowdy community tank. If kept with anything else you will need to expand that more and keep an eye on them because the group expands over time and can take over with serious consequences to other tankmates.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
What size/dimension tank are you setting up for them?

Lots and lots of shells!! You can use a minimum of sand substrate since they will move it anyway. A double layer of shells for the tank bottom would make them very, very happy!

Will this be a species only tank?

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
What size/dimension tank are you setting up for them?

Lots and lots of shells!! You can use a minimum of sand substrate since they will move it anyway. A double layer of shells for the tank bottom would make them very, very happy!

Will this be a species only tank?
Yup, at least twice as many shells as you think you need. Back when I kept multis, I found a bag of large shells at Hobby Lobby for under 10 bucks. Worked perfect. I used sugar sand substrate at 1" to 1 1/2".

Mark

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store