shrimp dying!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jody

AC Members
Jul 28, 2010
Newfoundland, Canada
Are you using dechlorinator when you do water changes if so what kind and is your water form city/well is it hard/soft ?

ManEatingShrimp

AC Members
Jan 28, 2012
Is hardness the same as ph? Its pretty high ph and i use tetra water purifier from the faucet. The shrimp are fine now that they are in the 2.5 I was just uncertain of whether I should move them or not. I will get pics of the red shrimp when I get home.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jody

AC Members
Jul 28, 2010
Newfoundland, Canada
So how high is the PH and is it stable at that level ? PH and hardness is not the same they affect each other though if you have high ph hardness is probably high

hardness well be GH and KH well GH is harness and KH is buffer but that's another subject. I wouldn't mess with harness to much and same as KH
unless your PH is unstable them some changes may be needed.

napsterninja

AC Members
Sep 19, 2010
A few losses is acceptable. Usually thats the cas whenever I but shrimp. if you rul eout all the mention above posts, then youshould be fine. Some of their colors change due to their surroundings, enviroment, age, and of course during breeding. I would not worry about that. As for the red one I would remove/seperate that one fast. My colony of yellows never had a reddish or brownish one. The closest it gets to being another color is the snowball. It could be where you got the shrimps got mixed with rcs.

ManEatingShrimp

AC Members
Jan 28, 2012

red on left yellow on right

The PH is around 7.9-8 and usually stays there. I think it is the tap water and less of the things in the tank.
Now that the shrimp are safe for now I am worried about their color. I paid extra for these to be "Golden Shrimp" but they seem to be regular yellows. Like I said the only one I would consider "golden" is now dead and the closest I have is the bright yellow stripe on the back of 1 or 2 of the other shrimp. Saddles are appearing so they are mature but I have yet to see the "gold" the seller advertised in his picture.
Should I try to contact him? I did not realize this when I purchased from him but he imports shrimp and carries yellow, golden shrimp, and many other shrimp and I am afraid he sent me yellows with that 1 gold and the cherry...

Jody

AC Members
Jul 28, 2010
Newfoundland, Canada
PH is fine little high but if its stable its good. That is a cherry shrimp a male i think, remove him if you can and find him a nice home maybe a shrimp bowl , I have 2 cherry's in a small fish bowl some driftwood and gravel no heater or filter they are fine but then the temp in my house is always around 22C

contact the person you got them from and show him the pic if he/she is a good seller they well help you out

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store