Shrimp! First post!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SmooveFish

AC Members
Jan 28, 2016
Okay guys. So I have some red cherry shrimp. I have about 9 and they're in a 3.5 gallon with co2 going into it. Is it okay to have co2 injection or not? And how long should I wait before I see berries shrimp? I have had the shrimp for about 3 weeks now and nothing has changed (although they were all in a different tank until today while this shrimp only tank was getting ready. I kept them with my endler guppies) I have a lot of dwarf hair grass. Some short jungle val in the back. And I am trying to grow some Java moss. I do have a sponged hob filter for a 10 gallon there. And I have a 12" fuge ray planted plus light. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Still trying to figure out how pictures work.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Plants and shrimp look happy! I've never kept shrimp in a CO2 tank but there are many accounts of people doing so successfully. Can't tell from the limited photos but do you have any males? All I see is big round females. Suggestions? Um, try to hide equipment as much as possible, which will happen with plant growth of course. Add a background, aids in hiding equipment and helps the plants and decor stand out better. Maybe consider replacing that jungle val, it gets up to 6 feet tall! lol or at least be prepared. ;)

Reactions: SmooveFish

SmooveFish

AC Members
Jan 28, 2016
Plants and shrimp look happy! I've never kept shrimp in a CO2 tank but there are many accounts of people doing so successfully. Can't tell from the limited photos but do you have any males? All I see is big round females. Suggestions? Um, try to hide equipment as much as possible, which will happen with plant growth of course. Add a background, aids in hiding equipment and helps the plants and decor stand out better. Maybe consider replacing that jungle val, it gets up to 6 feet tall! lol or at least be prepared. ;)
I'm only growing the val in here as a background plant. It isn't growing upwards at all because of high light. It pretty much only grows runners and up maybe 6 inches. I'm growing the runners out for my 55 gallon and when the val gets too tall I move that single plant piece over to my 55. :) and I have 1 male and 9 females haha. And I've tried to hide equipment. I just don't know where to put it :/ can I put the heater in the filter? Haha. That might be a dumb question. I've also been trying out flourish excel to see if I can use that in place of co2 because co2 is kind of expensive ;)

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
One male is all you need. ;) lol no heater in the filter. Excel is actually more expensive in the long run than pressurized, that would be a backwards step IMO. Excel in addition can be beneficial but I prefer to not use it in my shrimp tanks anyways. What is your CO2 setup? After initial costs pressurized CO2 is pretty cheap so I am wondering where the expensive part comes into play.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Oh yeah, I've always avoiding those brand name CO2 contraptions, prefer liquid carbon or a real pressurized system. I do not like to add ferts or CO2 to my shrimp tanks personally so I don't feel I can give you a recommendations there though. :(

Congrats! I've always found shrimp very rewarding to keep. I've been pretty much out of the hobby for a couple years now and my first "new" tank is gonna be a shrimp tank. :cool:

SmooveFish

AC Members
Jan 28, 2016
Oh yeah, I've always avoiding those brand name CO2 contraptions, prefer liquid carbon or a real pressurized system. I do not like to add ferts or CO2 to my shrimp tanks personally so I don't feel I can give you a recommendations there though. :(

Congrats! I've always found shrimp very rewarding to keep. I've been pretty much out of the hobby for a couple years now and my first "new" tank is gonna be a shrimp tank. :cool:
I'm willing to invest in a new setup for co2. Any recommendations? Some links would be nice. Haha. I just haven't found anything I've wanted to invest in yet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store