Shrimp!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kriskitty23

AC Members
Feb 15, 2012
Alrighty, I finally got my gift card balance to update on Amazon and purchased the basics for my shrimp tank. I plan to empty out the current gravel and replace with this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EUE80S/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details. Does anyone have experience with this substrate?

I have not purchased plants yet, but was at Petco today checking some out. I don't want to order these online, as shipping is ridiculous. I noticed Petco has a lot of little snails on their plants, but I'm ok with that. I also purchased shrimp food and another Aquaclear. I'm going to get a sponge cover to fit the filter intake and prevent casualities.

Since I will be replacing the current filter and gravel entirely, I will leave the old media in to seed the tank. I am currently using it as a hospital tank for one of my fantails, so I will start getting it set up after that. I plan on planting it and giving the plants at least a week to establish themselves. I will be adding in a piece of drift wood and a marimo moss ball as well.

Question: What are the stocking reccomendations for a shrimp tank of this size (recap: 10g, one Aquaclear 20, strictly shrimp, heavily planted). How many shrimp should I plan to purchase to start out? I'm hoping they will increase their colony on their own. :) I'm looking at cherry shrimp. I have a credit at liveaquaria.com, but shipping is just ridiculous. Honestly, I had them credit my account when I purchased some fish that were DOA and I should have just had them ship new fish at that time. The way this works out, I have to pay for shipping when I wouldn't have if I had them ship out replacements. Oh well...thoughts?

Thank you in advance!

rastoma

AC Members
Feb 29, 2012
Jasper, TN
What price did you get on the AC 70 at Amazon? I'm not seeing a super sale or anything going on at the moment, did I miss it?

I bought some AC 20's and 30's from Aquariumguys and they were the cheapest I could find even with shipping. Their AC 70 is $40.39 right now. Shipping averages $7 but I always try to get more stuff to make it up like filter media, etc.

There is a user on this board that is selling 20 red cherry shrimp for like $23 with free shipping. A little more if you need a heat pack but most areas probably don't need a heat pack now. He's gotten a lot of good reviews about how good his shrimp look.

kriskitty23

AC Members
Feb 15, 2012
My 70 was $35.62 with free shipping. So you missed a bit of a sale. The 20 I just bought was $22.00.
I also hopped on aquabid and found someone in my cityselling yellow shrimp for a very good price. She's allowing local pick up as well. I just received the substrate I ordered in the mail, so I'm going tostart setting up the tank very soon!!

cpetrosky

AC Members
Jan 22, 2011
Mooresville NC
Real Name
Chris Petrosky
I have a 20 tall with playsand, java moss, amazon sword, aponogins, Mario balls, and a banana plant under the stock 18" bulb. I keep good side breeding colonies of cherries and the orange eyed blue tiger shrimp.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

kriskitty23

AC Members
Feb 15, 2012
Decided to order some plants on liveaquaria.com with my credit on file. Hopefully they arrive green and healthy! They should be here Wednesday, so I will start planting and setting up my tank then. The new filter should be here by that time as well.

Side note: I ordered some shrimp food on Amazon while ordering everything else...what else do they eat? I want to make sure they are fat and happy. I know the sinking algae wafers are good,already have those for my Cory's, so no prob there. Any other suggestions?
Also, do they need any kind of supplements added to the water?

XMX

AC Members
Oct 22, 2011
Here's a little write up on simple shrimp care: http://www.speedieaquatics.com/shrimp-care/

For Neos (cherry, yellow, blue pearls, etc) you don't really need to worry about the water quality because they are pretty tough. Normally, tap is fine for these types of shrimps.

As for food, you can also try spinach and zucchini. Try to use only organic produce and make sure to boil them for a couple of minutes first.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store